Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rnborja Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
    100 to 200amp service upgrade
    Hello I'm a homeowner and I was hoping to get some information on how I go about doing a panel upgrade. I want to go from a 100amp panel to a 200 amp panel but I'm not sure where to start. I've called and left messages at a few electrical companies this morning and I'm still waiting for a response. I just wanted to get some information on the steps and processes. Do I have to go to my county office to get a permit myself? Price ranges I'll be looking at when I do receive phone calls from electrical companies. Thanks in advance
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 12:03 PM

At this point you just wait for some of the pros to return your call, this is not a DIYer project. Try for 3 bids. They will get the permit for you and charge back the cost or you can get it yourself, same price.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Removed.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I used the electrical inspector as my resource. I told the electrical inspector what I was going to do and he told me the wire sizes that he required and the various things I needed to do. I obtained a 200-amp meter socket from the power company (no charge).

On the morning that I started, I pulled the meter myself.
    I have to say, these things are not typical and NOT suggested for a DIYer.

NO DIYer should EVER pull a meter themselves. EVER! I amazes me that some areas actually allow this.
    Your power company will come out and do this for free. Use them.
    Also, meter pans are rarely given out by the power company any more. Many used to, but most have stopped this policy.

Also, and inspector is NOT a teacher and should be used to see what is required. In fact, many will tell you this themselves. They might give you some tips or a little help, but it is NOT their job to explain the project to you and tell you what to use. That is the responsibility of the installer to know ahead of time.
    The requirements are not his, they are your local code requirements. He is just there to enforce whatever code your area is under.

rnborja, give the guys you called at least a day or two to get back to you. Contractors are notorious for not returning calls and a day late is not uncommon.

Apr 10, 2009, 01:39 PM

I will wait for a response from the electrical co. Another question "stan man"... Is it the electricians job or the countys job if I wanted to put the new 200amp panel in a different location. The wires that are coming in from the pole are going to the old 100a panel and I was wondering if it was a big deal to have the electrician cut those wires and feed it to a sepearte location. Is that a big deal. Do I have the electrician do that or the city. Thanks very much guys and I'm going to wait for the electricians to respond back to me... I appreciate this website
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 02:13 PM

I totally agree as I stated in post #2, this is not a DIY project especially when the HO states he doesn't know where to start. Even a very handy Ho should not pull a meter or attempt to install this panel unless they have done similar work before under the supervision of a electrician. rnborja is making a wise decision to wait for the replies. Not sure who he meant when asking if the county would move his drop. The electrican will do that too.

Apr 10, 2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks ballenger! I meant stanfortyman but u answered my question. Thee electrician can move the panel to whole new location and he can do the drop of the overhead wires himself. Tx
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 10, 2009, 07:41 PM
    Please make sure the power company will allow you to move the panel to a new location. The power company owns the meter and they are the ones that have to approve any type of location change.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 11, 2009, 04:39 AM

The process for upgrading here in Ny is you call the power company and schedule a upgrade for a new service. They will ask if you are a HO or Contractor and then they will give you a ESO # {electrical service order number} This number tells everyone that a upgrade is sch,where,who,what,and when.

If you request to move the service they will send out a planner and he will OK the move.

They will not allow anyone but them to pull the meter {power company} Then after they cut the line you can do the work and get it inspected by a licensed firm. The inspector will ask for the eso # so he can forward it to the power company with a completed and passed work order. The power company will not energize the line until the inspector puts his sticker of completion on the new meterbox. I agree with the others this is not for the average HO and when a meter is pulled they can tell in the power company as they are digital meters. Good luck

The rates around here start at $ 8.00 per amp and some are $20.00 per amp for just the service job.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csavage1 View Post
    The process for upgrading here in Ny is you call the power company and schedule a upgrade for a new service. They will ask if you are a HO or Contractor and then they will give you a ESO # {electrical service order number} This number tells everyone that a upgrade is sch,where,who,what,and when.

If you request to move the service they will send out a planner and he will ok the move.

They will not allow anyone but them to pull the meter {power company} Then after they cut the line you can do the work and get it inspected by a licensed firm. The inspector will ask for the eso # so he can forward it to the power company with a completed and passed work order. The power company will not energize the line until the inspector puts his sticker of completion on the new meterbox. I agree with the others this is not for the average HO and when a meter is pulled they can tell in the power company as they are digital meters. Good luck

The rates around here start at $ 8.00 per amp and some are $20.00 per amp for just the service job.
    While this a good general explanation, it is not completely accurate for all of NYS. Each utility has it's own rules, some very specific, and some counties have their own rules as well.

Typically the inspection agency will issue a "pre-release" before work is done so the power company can re-connect power as soon as the job is done. Then the inspector comes back and inspects after.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change 100AMP service to 200AMP service? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the steps need to change from 100 AMP service to 200AMP service?

200amp service supply line [ 5 Answers ]

OK here we go I have property up state with no power, the nearest pole is appx 1800ft+ away from where I am going to put a summer house the electric company states it will cost me $25000.00 for poles labour and parts. This is insane. My question is if they put a pole with power on the edge of...

200 AMP Service Upgrade [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading my main breaker panel, I was wondering if someone can advised me on some of the thing that I should ensure that the electrician list on the proposal as part of the upgrade. For instance, I see 200 AMP aluminium wire, new#2 copper grounding wire conductor, new#4 or...

Might scrap 200amp upgrade and go with a bigger 100amp panel [ 10 Answers ]

Hey all! Reading all the posts about 200amp panels and the costs is making my head hurt along with my wallet. I think I will just have the existing 100 swapped out for a larger panel... say a 30/30 100amp (or are there larger ones? ). I live in a 77+ year old house with some older knob&tube...

Cutler Hammer vs GE, for new 200amp service? [ 9 Answers ]

My GE box is full and I got a quote for a new 200AMP service box, new weather head and line down the house (about 70 feet),a 40 circuit 200 amp panel, ground and bonding all would be new, etc. Price comes in close to a $1000, the company uses Cutler Hammer boxes, but can get me a GE box for an...

View more questions Search