Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sania Tasnim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Checking Neutral and phase wires.
    This was a question that I could not answer in my last Electrical engineering sessional reports. 'How can you check phase and neutral wires?Explain." can anyone please help me answer this?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Apr 9, 2009, 06:36 PM

What exactly do you mean by "check"?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:28 PM

You can check:
    Phase to phase
    Phase to neutral
    Neutral to ground

Results depend on what your checking 208 1p, 208 3p, 240 1p, then there is a 3 phase high leg system.
    Sania Tasnim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "check"?

probably it means "testing". I dont know exactly because it was my first Electrical Engineering sessional and the teachers dont tell everything we ask.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:58 PM

Let me add:
    If it's a 3 phase motor, you can look at phase imbalance. Both voltage and current.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral on single phase. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm wiring my kitchen recess light and wonder about the neutral wire... Here is the display : 1 single breaker 15A, 2 wires roomex, getting to my double gang switches receptacle and then, from each switches, 3 wires roomex with a share neutral to the ceiling junction box were I split to 4,...

Three phase shared neutral [ 1 Answers ]

If at the intake position from the utility company it is three phase, and the load is, say 50amps per phase. Would the return shared neutral take that full load of 150 amps? Or is there a reason why it would be lower because shared neutral conductor size is always the same as phase conductors. ...

Ground and neutral Wires [ 9 Answers ]

Is it proper to connect the ground and neutral to the neutral buss? I am installing a sub panel from a 200amp svc to a 125 service using 6g. My sub box does not have a separate ground buss rather only 2 neutral buses with a crossbar. I was informed that I can put the neutral and ground on that...

Neutral wires in an electric panel [ 15 Answers ]

Why is it considered unsafe to double post neutral wires (two neutral wires to one lug on the neutral bar) in an electric panel?

Hot neutral Wires [ 6 Answers ]

The wife turned on the toaster this morning and the thing quit and the receptacle was melted a bit,the breaker never tripped, fridges outlet does not work along with two in the living room. I replaced the melted receptacle. Still nothing on all four outlets the NEUTRAL reads 120 volts with ground...

View more questions Search