Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Can we add light fixtures to ceiling?
    We just purchased a townhouse and we have the bottom floor. There is another unit above us. There are some ceiling lights in the hallway and kitchen, but nothing in the living room and bedrooms. I would really like to get away from the floor lamps. Is it possible to have lighting added overhead, with anither townhouse above us?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 10:47 AM

Is this townhouse part of a co-op or home owners association? If yes, you should check because you may not own the rights to the space above your ceiling. The work can be done but would require several access hole be cut into walls and the ceiling.
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2009, 11:04 AM

We are part of a HOA. I'll have to talk to my husband about checking. But, it is possible to add the lighting without having to tamper with anything in the other home?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2009, 11:18 AM

There is a space between your ceiling and their floor of about 10-12 inches, so yes, there is room to work without desturbing their home. However, as I previously mentioned you need to check with the HOA management to see if this space is yours to occupy or is it considered common space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky light fixtures [ 4 Answers ]

For months we have been trying to locate the source of a "dead rat" smell in our home. My husband has crawled around in the attic on numerous occasions, even disconnecting air conditioning vents to check them. The smell is always worse during the afternoon and evening. We never notice it first...

One Switch, 4 light fixtures [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, I've read all the posts, I think this one is a good one... I have one switch, and 4 lights. Every time I flip the switch, I trip the breaker. Here is my diagram: --b-----sw------+-------+-------+-------+ ---------------------------------------------Ground --w------------- - ------ -...

Ceiling fan light fixtures [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reattach a ceiling fan light shade? One of them is loose and we have a heck of a time changing the lightbulb. Thanks

Changing out light fixtures on ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a wobbly light fixture. How do I change it out? Thanks, Jerry

View more questions Search