Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

Apr 7, 2009, 04:01 AM
    Male daschund acting old at 4?
    My 4yr old male daschund has recently started to seem to be having trouble jumping up on the bed etc. It came on very suddenly, one day he was fine, the next he was hesitating and crying about getting up on the bed. He doesn't yelp when he jumps or anything, he crys because he wants to come up and for some reason he can't jump as high. Is this a sign of an injury or health problem? Is it normal for them to loose some of their mobility at such a young age?
    Any thoughts?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 06:46 AM

There are human illnesses that parallel this -- people who can't jump as high when they get to the age of 20 or 30; etc.

Why don't you take him to the vet?

No, it's not "normal", but it can happen.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 07:06 AM

The breed is known to have spinal problems, especially intervertebral disk disease (IVDD), due in part to an extremely long spinal column and short rib cage.[8] The risk of injury may be worsened by obesity, jumping, rough handling, or intense exercise, which place greater strain on the vertebrae.
    Dachshund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

Jun 8, 2009, 08:11 AM

I think he was just sore or something, he's back to normal now.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2009, 10:31 AM

Dachshunds have a lot of back problems so maybe this is why he cannot jump?

Dachshunds should avoid jumping as much as possible. My mother in law has a Yorkshire Terrier with hip problems and she has made 2 small steps to put at the foot of her bed so the dog can get up without jumping.
    Perhaps that would be a good idea for you?

Obviously only a vet can tell you what is wrong exactly, it could even be his hips/back/legs/srthritis/strained muscle... possibilities are endless...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 1 year old MALE daschund is peeing EVERYWHERE! [ 1 Answers ]

We just rescued him (unagi) from a shelter yesterday and he has peed in every possible place. We live in an apartment so we can't install a doggy door and when we do take him outside he pees and poops but he will also come inside to do the same thing. I don't know what to do?

Male incarcerated and spouse whereabout is unknown.Male wants a divorce. [ 1 Answers ]

Male is incarcerated and his spouse whereabout is unknown. They have been separated from for 10 years. He wants a divorce. What steps can he take while incarcerated to achieve a divorce?

Potty training an adult male daschund [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old male mini doxie. We have had him since he was 7 weeks old. We worked with him on potty training when we first got him. He did not do so well during the winter, preferring to stay on the deck and hold it until he came inside and then go. When the weather changed, he seems to...

2 months old male daschund [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 months old male daschund.He is not being able to learn toilet training and he ends up messing my home.He is 24*7 hungry. I feed him 5 times a day. 3 times with cerelac(3 spoons) n pedigree(1 spoon)and 2 times with 5 spoons of milk n 3 spoons water.Is iit insufficient? He bites a lot...

Spayed male dog humping other male dogs. Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My male dog mixed boston terrier/pug. He has been spayed at 4 months old. He never bother females dogs. But when a small male dog comes around he wants to hump her all the time. Why is that? How can I break him from it? I though once spayed they do not have the desire to hump. And why he only...

View more questions Search