Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    me no carpenter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 01:26 AM
    Installing marble onto my brick fireplace
    I have a brick fire place with tile in front of it. I would like to put marble over it. The bricks have very course lines in them, but the flood tiles are smooth. Can I do it.

Thank you ,
    me no carpenter
    markevansgroup Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 02:04 AM

Yes, either remove the smooth tile or scuff it up with an abrasive wheel. Also, you can clean it and use an epoxy available at most tile/marble suppliers.
    Take your time. Most jobs fail due to lack of time committed to prep. The pro takes the prep serious. The amateur hurries through the prep and then the job fails.
    Good luck.
    Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 08:29 AM

"I would like to put marble over it" all over what, the fireplace, the hearth or both? If you do mean to include the hearth please tell us what kind of tile is already there, likely it should be removed and not tiled over with marble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning Fireplace Brick [ 5 Answers ]

I have a woodburning fireplace with bricks surrounding it. We are replacing the door with a new steel door that is smaller than the one currently installed. Consequently, we will be able to see the outline of the old door because of some soot. Is there any way to clean this naturally? Our...

Installing Green Marble Tile for fireplace hearth [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a small area of Florida tile (green marble) on the floor as a fireplace hearth. The instructions state to use a super epoxy to adhere the tile to backerboard. It has to be a non-water based substance. I have a small area of 10 sqare feet to cover. The recommended epoxy to use...

Using Schluter Rondec on marble fireplace hearth [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing (1st timer, do-it yourself) marble tiles (12' x 12") on a corner fireplace surround and hearth. The backer board is installed per recommended procedure. I am planning on using metal Schluter Rondec for the corner of the facade and the front edges of the hearth (the marble tiles are...

Cover brick on fireplace [ 6 Answers ]

I want to cover the brick on my fireplace with a simple procedure either with tile or maybe some kind of material that I could simply paint or put a faux finish on either faux tile or marble or other choices of faux finishes. I haven't a lot of money so this would be a least expensive project for...

Brick fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for info on how to make a brick fireplace smooth? How or what products do I need to make that possible without it cracking?

View more questions Search