Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LORDOFLORDS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Plumbing in concrete
    How diffucult and expensive is it to change the layout or add a bathroom when working with a concrete slab?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:10 AM

That's a loaded question. Depends how far the drainage has to go and how much concrete you need to cut. If a plumber laid out the concrete cuts you can do them with a rented concrete saw and a diamond blade and dig the trench. That would save you a lot instead of paying someone else to do it.

Plastic area and use a water pump sprayer and two people. Spray enough water to keep the blade wet enough where there is no dust.

Saw looks like this.
    Makita Power Cutter — 14in., 73cc, Model# DPC7321X1 | Concrete Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/4114/

Art this point with very little informntion the figure can be all over the place.

Maybe get three bids and post them here for us to check out the prices and what the bid scope is to guide you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Boat asks questions that must be answered before we can go much farther. What layout do you wish to change? Have you a rough in already in place? In my area of Florida all our buildings are on slabs. We can help but you'll have to give us more details and a drawing with measurments would be nice. Will you be doing the work yourself or contract it out? Regards, T%om
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Hi all:

Really hard to price anything anyway guys. 21boat gave best advice... get 3 bids on the work and then you can decide what seems best. We are, however, glad to discuss all details if you give us more info... ;)

I don't think it is a good idea here to use a gas-powered cutoff saw in a basement. I have been tempted quite a few times but I have always been told that people have died of CO poisoning after running these for extended periods in enclosed areas. I only point this out because I don't think the powers that be around here want us putting their new members to sleep now or in the future... :D so allow me to double check on this OK?

The electric cutter 21boat posted would work fine here.

I am a big fan of the large electric chipping hammers... goes pretty quick once you get a hole started. Most any bathroom I've ever done underground was chopped and dug out by lunch time with me and a helper. There are a few exceptions, but it wasn't the concrete that was the issue, but the steel-hard clay dirt and the huge rocks we have sometimes run into...

Thanks guys.

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2009, 07:59 AM
    In my area we use a jack hammer to break up the slab. Mark makes a valid point about using gas powered equipment in a enclosed area. I want to hear what Lord has got to say. Tom
    luckyrabbit7 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 08:46 AM
    I've seen people use a large impact drill to make a series of holes, then bust it up with a chipping hammer or old school sledge. I wouldn't want to run a gas powered saw indoors either.
    The floor isn't that thick, maybe 4' to 6", and busts up easier than you think.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 02:16 PM

That's why I posted the Electric saw also fellas
    Check second site I posted.
    Drilling holes to brake up concrete is days of fooling around.

Lordof floors. This is what you want to rent to break up the floor after you cut it,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96035

This is the correct size anything smaller and you are chipping concrete not "Breaking it"

All rentals carry them that I know of.

Luckyrabbit... many times we our gas powered saws and run a fan system to get rid of residual dust and of course it exhaust the gas fumes.

Most floors are 3 1/2" to 4"+ for residential. That's the standard for a concrete floor. 6" thick would be a driveway or driveway apron or factory floor. Concrete id a material you don't' half prep in depth to pour. Who wants to wheel /place extra yards for a house basement floor.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Hi Mark...

You said, "many times we our gas powered saws and run a fan system to get rid of residual dust and of course it exhaust the gas fumes"...

That was my point... you didn't mention anything about ventilation. I know we can't always remember all the details... but that detail was pretty darn important (I think you mentioned enclosing the area in plastic.. ;) )!

Anyway... I still recommend using an electric jack hammer for the entire job... just my opinion!

You are doing a great job around here so please take this as what it is... my opinion!

Thanks... MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing and concrete [ 1 Answers ]

How many inches (large) can a pipe be embedded in a 6 inches concrete flooring.

Plumbing under concrete [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a wet bar to my unfinished basement. I will need to cut the concrete to get to a sewer line. My question: I have a floor drain in my utility room, which would be the closest drain line to my wet bar. Can I tap into that line (utility room drain line) and run PVC to my sink for the...

Cutting concrete to install plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

When I'm finished installing the plumbing, what should I do with the rebar?

Plumbing leak in concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hot water leak in a copper pipe about 5 inches slab is 12inches does anyone know any easy way to fix?

View more questions Search