Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kelly01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Opening Balances within T accounts
    Can anyone please explain or preferably show me how I incorporate Opening Balances into t accounts?:confused:

Thanks
    Kelly
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 10:21 AM

You will have your date and Beg Bal with the balance amount either on the left or right side of the T Account. The left side is for your debits and the right side is for your credits. When you close your T account at the end of the period you will balance your account and then draw a horizontal line across the bottom of your T-account, then below the line you will put the date with End Bal with the balance amount on either the right side or the left side of the T-account to signify the ending balnce.
    helemuo Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Opening balances or balance carried forward are either credit or debit. If, for example, your opening balance is coming from Account Receivable ledger, you draw up a T account and write balance brought forward (b/f) in the left hand side and then enter the amount. If you are getting your balances from accounts payable, you do the same on the left side of the T account. The rules of debit and credit are:
    Debit Assets, Expenses, and Losses
    Credit Liabilities, gains, sales revenue, equity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

T-accounts and adjusted trial balances [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having trouble putting amounts in the right places for t-accounts and the adjusted trial balance. Please help.

View more questions Search