Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quenie1975 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Joint compound in corners
    I live in a double-wide mobile home. Of course like any mobile home, I have strips of one 1/8 inch by 1 inch strips of wood about every 3 to 3.5 feet covering up the joints where the dry wall comes together. I am in the process of removing all the strips and putting joint compound on them to smooth out my wall and painting. Self tought and looks pretty darn good. My question is... I am unable to get the corners looking smooth and nice. Some of my walls have anywhere from a 1/4 inch gap to a 1/2 inch gap under strips. Whatever company put my home together cannot measure. One corner from inside wall to outside wall had one inch gap. And there is not a straight line anywhere.I have used all the drywall tapes available and still am unable to get my corners defined. Is there a special corner tool out there or is there a special trick. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate any advice. The only other choice I am able to come up with is to put corner-round molding in corners to make it look better.
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2009, 11:29 AM

There is a special dry wall tape for corners that has metal edging embedded in it. It allows you to fold the tape down the middle and apply to your corners. It comes in a box, rolled up into itself. I cannot remember the name of it right now. You mud the corners, put in the tape, and then mud over tape.

It's worked pretty well for me in the past. I'm sure some of the pros have other suggestions as well.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 03:23 PM

Home depot has a trowel that is designed for inside corners. It is shaped at about an 85 degree angle and top edge is about 5 inches each side of angle. Sorry can't provide a picture. The store by me has them with trowels in paint dept.

Also there is a preglued mesh that measures 6 inches.

Fill the crack with compound and let dry overnight. This will give u a backing for the tape

Good luck

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 07:28 PM

I personally don't like the V shaped trowels, You push to hard and it sallow in the inside corner and to thick on it outer edges and that's what yopu don't want on finish work

Mud in hollow corner gaps. They to get a close inside edge. Get and USE regular drywall tape. Ripp off an 8 foot piece. Now look at the center of the tape and it has a crease in it Bent and partially fold it there. Mud wall on both sides. Now use trowel to blade down the inside corner to make that corner line. After the RE mud only one side of the inside corner and blade it down again. Let that set up. Now you have a fairly goo straight corner. Mud the other side of that corner and when you blade down that side the other side is dry/stiff as not to mark it while you blade the opposite side.

Trick here for the novice is do one inside of the inside corner to Control That line for being straight.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Mar 30, 2009, 10:55 AM

Hi I Own a drywall co in wi what you can do is pre-fill the gaps and then use a paper tape in the corner you should use the tape on the other joints to prevent cracking also but in the cornes the way to do them after they are taped you coat 1 side of the corner with drywall compound wait for it to dry over night coat the other side and then sand
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 30, 2009, 11:30 AM

In addition to what arby said - 45 or 90 minute compound is good for corners as you won't have to wait overnight to do the other side and it dries hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating the Venetian Plaster Look with Joint Compound/Mud [ 2 Answers ]

I've noticed one problem when using mud to create the venetian plaster look; it shrinks as it dries, which creates very small/narrow cracks where walls meet and where the ceiling and walls meet. I know it's normal for the mud to shrink, but I'm curious how people go about taking care of the small...

Using taping mud (joint compound) to create a plaster look [ 4 Answers ]

I want to create a plaster look in my basement. Can I just use joint compound to create the swirled/raised look I want on my wall? Thanks

Darkened corners! [ 4 Answers ]

photo! in the photo^ the corners have been shaded using a computer program. Is there a program that you know of that does this? Preferably one that's a free download. Or what the best free program that you can download is?

Joint compound weight [ 3 Answers ]

The containers for regular and lightweight joint compound have the same directions. Is there a reason to use one of them for any paerticular task? Any difference in their performance? Thanks

View more questions Search