Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blunty Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2006, 07:10 PM
    House Training a Mini Dachshund
    Hey All...First off I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to say that I have been reading on the advice passed from each and am wondering if I can get some ideas. I have a mini dachshund that is 1 yr old. I have had dachshunds all my life but none have ever been this stubborn. My lil Sammie is a devil. He does go outdoors but doesn't hesitate to go indoors as well. I have tried using the crate...but am scared to confuse him. I have tried praising and giving rewards. I'm not sure if he is just marking territory or actually going b/c he really has to go. Anyone have any ideas...they would be greatly appreciated.
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Sep 7, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Is he neutured? IF not, that would be the first thing to do, you have to start the training process from scratch I'm afraid, but first every spot he's gone in the house has to be scrubbed with a cleaner special for pet odors or he'll just go back there again. While in the house and retraining, keep him on a long leash tied to you, that way he cannot sneak off to do his "deed", the second you see him about to go, yell "NO", grab him and put him outside, when he goes, praise him to high heaven... hope this helped a bit. There is no magic cure, just time.
    Blunty Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Hi Melinda.

Thanks for responding. Your ideas sound great and worth a try. He is not neutured as of yet...but it is something I am going to look into. I really didn't want to fix him b/c I wanted to breed him once but he is starting to ruin my furniture and hardwood floors due to going inside. I really think he is just marking his territory therefore fixing him is probably my best option. Thanks again for your suggestions, I have never tried keeping him on a leash inside but it's going to be something I try real soon. :o
    jvibe101 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Hi, I own two daschunds (one mini and one standard) and all I have to say is be very very patient. My two year old still has accidents at least twice a month. Just be cool and it will improve.Good luck.:cool: I also want to say that was a great post by Melinda.:D
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2006, 06:58 PM
    If it's a territorial issue he's having, neutering him while young would really help. If you wait to late, sometimes bad habits that developed do not resolve by simply neutering.
    Is he hiking his leg in several different places w/o fully relieving his bladder - like maybe just a squirt? If so, that's marking territory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini Dachshund confussed on where to potty [ 4 Answers ]

My 3 1/2 month old mini dachshund seems confussed on potty training. She will poop and pee outside when she wakes in the morning. She will Poop outside 99% of the time. She wants to Pee inside. We will take her Out and she will stay for 10-45 minutes and nothing. Then when we bring her In she...

Pet Store Puppy and House Training Problems [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased Baxter a 5.5 month old Boston terrier about 3.5 months ago from a pet store. The first two weeks he had such severe pnuemonia he was at the vets on and off. Once he got over that we decided to crate train him since this was suppose to be the best method out there. We got...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

Dachshund won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old mini dashund that was recently diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in one lung. To limit her coughing she was put on codine. She has progressively lost her desire to eat. Other wise she seems OK. We've given her steak, liverworst, peanut butter,. Each time we think we find...

House training dog [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old dog, Dalmation/Border Collie mix. He has been an outside dog all his life, we want to bring him inside. What is the best way to house train this dog? Thank you.

View more questions Search