Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidrenfro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Running two switches from ine power source through junction box
    I have come up against a problem with some electrical in my house. The previous owners did some very "inventive" things and I am trying to re-wire some lighting in my kitchen. Here's the situation.

I have power coming into a junction box (not the best I know, but old house). The power is to operate two sets of switches for two different sets of lights. They used to be two sets of three way switches, but I have re-run the wiring to just be 12/2 wires. I just want to have the two different switches control the two different sets of lights. What would be the best way to run this scenario? Please help!!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 01:06 PM

If you can't use the wire that's there on the one side of the 3 way for power to the one light as a single feed then pull two feeds off junction that junction box to feed the two switches.

Or feed the one switch and junction from there to feed the second switch.

I can't see what you see for the easiest way here unless you give some info on what access you have between both switches to jump from there.

What's on the line circuit now and why a 20 amp wire as oppsed to a 15 amp? Just curious here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

Tapping into a 2 prong outlet power source [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new microwave in my mother's townhouse. The townhouse was built in the 60's. I can not tell if the outlet is grounded. All other outlets in her townhouse are two prong. Is there going to be a hazard tapping into the two prong outlet power source to provide power for the...

One power source to fan need dimmer for light only [ 2 Answers ]

I have one switch to my fan junction box. Does anyone know of a remote that I can install in the junction box that will allow me to dim the light? I found one that will allow me to turn the light on/off (by Hampton Bay) and control the fan speed, but I need to control the light brightness.

Gfci power source [ 5 Answers ]

I had and existing gfci power outlet. I had some remodeling done, and now I want to put a new gfci power outlet in. Does this power come off directly from the breaker panel, or can I use an existing power source?

Power Source For New Sconces [ 4 Answers ]

I Have Two Sconces To Install. Where Can Draw Power From. They Must Be Wired To A Switch. Can I Draw Power From A Nearby Switch? If So Would I Just Run A Pigtail From The Existing Switch To The New One, Install Them Both In A Double Switch Box And Run A 14/2 Cable To Junction Box Splicing ...

View more questions Search