Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:22 PM
    Broken puppy tooth
    Ugh, where to start... well, I have a 9 week old Staffordshire Terrier. She's kenneled at night, and she's been real good about it. She evens goes in there by herself to nap. Well, the other night I was woken up by screeches, she had tried to stick her nose out of the one of the openings and got her mouth stuck, she pulled so hard (before I got her out) that she chipped her right canine pretty badly. It's about half gone. She doesn't seem to be in pain.

What do I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:40 PM

I'd take her in asap to the vet to get the tooth filed and smoothed so her tongue and cheek don't catch on it. Maybe they can cap it?
    Vision Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:41 PM

It's not jagged. I contemplated taking her to the vet, but she doesn't seem uncomfortable. And it's a baby tooth. Do you really think its necessary to take her to the vet?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    It's not jagged. I contemplated taking her to the vet, but she doesn't seem uncomfortable. And it's a baby tooth. Do you really think its necessary to take her to the vet?
    My main concern would be that it would catch on something inside her mouth. If that's not a concern and she's eating okay, it should be fine until the permanent one comes in. Be aware though in case she seems in pain or there's blood on her mouth.
    Vision Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:48 PM

OH, I've been watching her VERY closely... Thank you for the advice.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 22, 2009, 12:10 AM

I went through something very similar when crate training one of my huskies when she was a puppy. She broke one of her canines in half, and even though it looked painful it didn't seem to bother her at all. I was also very worried. When my vet checked her out about it he wasn't concerned at all and just to keep an eye out for any signs of infection until it dropped.
    Vision Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 12:15 AM

Great, thanks for easing my worries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Front Tooth. Looking for best treatment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am Rahul from Bangalore, India. 10 years back, I fell and lost half of my front tooth. I haven't feel any pain in that. Till now, I was not in the position to pay for that, But Now I want to repair and want it exactly to be as close to the natural as possible. I am not worried about its...

Broken tooth - fix or pull? [ 4 Answers ]

I have broken a lower right tooth - 2nd from back tooth. The dentist says that I need crown lengthening to prepare for a crown. Is is better to have a crown or just remove the damaged tooth?

Broken tooth [ 3 Answers ]

About three weeks ago part of my tooth broke off. I do not have insurance so I could not go to a dentist. It was very painful for two weeks then this past week it did not hurt at all. Then two days ago I woke up and my cheek was swolen(the side the broken tooth is on). Its not painful but I do not...

Broken Wisdom Tooth [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've been putting off posting here for ages, and just reading over everyone else's questions and answers. I'm overly terrified of going to the dentist due to a bad experience as a kid. My last visit was I'd say 10 years ago when I had my braces removed, and was consulting to have my...

Tooth broken after the crown [ 7 Answers ]

I put a crown on my upper central incisor but my right tooth got broken and the crown fell down just one week after putting the crown. Whqt shall I do? And how to protect the other one?

View more questions Search