Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fmtaskart Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Mar 21, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Got Russian? Bulgarian? Artist/Signature Identification
    Hello

Writing on the backside right in english shows "Boyana" gifting the painting to "Dora" in Sofia, Bulgaria in 1965.

Writing on the backside left is likely Russian .One russian says the words transliterate to (artist "fedor khristov"). A second russian says "todor christov". The second translated the signature on the front as "hristov" but was not sure of the whole signature. Both saw only digital images on a PC.

I tried using old russian script and bulgarian to english transliteration tables. I believe "todor" is more likely than "fedor". The symbol that looks like an "M" in the first part of the name on the back looks like the uppercase of the lowercase "m" symbol in the second part and both ought transliterate to the same letter probably "T". I favored "ch" over the russian "kh" because... Bulgaria?

Clearly I am new and naïve at this. Searches on the internet and use of resources gleaned from this forum and other museum/gallery sites lead me to suppose "christov todorov"- a Bulgarian painter. I could not find a signature to compare nor other works. Search terms in various combinations included: fodor... todor.. todorov.. christov... christo... hristov... khristov... skitnik.. .

My next virtual stop may be the Sofia Art Gallery.

The painting is on a board (plywood perhaps), is economically framed, not large, and appears painted quickly but with confidence. You can see the wood grain especially about the signature in the lower right corner. My guess dates the painting well before world war 2, maybe the 1920s.

Can someone help with the signature on the painting or otherwise identify the artist? Attached are the framed painting placed on a kitchen table, a closeup of the signature on the painting, and a closeup of the writing on the back.

The painting passed from the estate of "Dora" to her son, now also deceased, and then to his widow. "Dora" was married to a known russian ballet dancer who danced with V. Nijinski and B. Nijinska.

Thank you for reading this post. Please help if you can.
    Attached Images

Vanya Colburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 02:35 PM

It says "Artist: Todor Hristov".
    I hope this helps.

May 25, 2009, 07:35 AM

Hi
    Thanks for your response. I don't think I'm at the end of the search yet, but Todor Hristov is in the right direction. I have to separate the former ruler of Bulgaria from other revolutionaries in the WWII era who were painters. Thanks again.
    user391582 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 07:43 PM

That's a really cool painting. Its bulgarian. Workers in the field, making square hay bales, most likely singing songs. They`d do that all day... its really tiring.
    thatcomedian Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Nov 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
    I know this probably isn't useful but I thought it was interesting that I came across this name when searching. I know this guy is too young but still thought it was weird or funny.
    :: Boyan - Home ::

May 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
    An update for the work... I am the poster. Igot a professional evaluation of the painting- 2000USD but probably worth more if the artist can be positively identified.The professional provided some more transliterations from the (probable) russian, including "christophe'. So it goes.

Side note to thatcomedian : I watch the forum thread about the small oil painting posted by WA... CH. I think I can telll you where the artist mark is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Signature Identification [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and I would like to find any information we can about this painting. It is oil on canvas in the original frame and depicts an early 20th century Parisian street scene. Other than that, we have no idea what we have. Thanks for any help.

Signature/Artist Identification [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received the following painting from my Grandmother and need help identifying the artist (see attached signature and painting images). My knowledge of the painting's history is limited. It was previously acquired by the daughter of Emerson Price (book critic of the Cleveland Press). ...

Engraving, Artist Proof, Artist Signiture Identification [ 13 Answers ]

15854 15855 I found this artist proof at a local thrift store. It's entitled "Lady Godiva". I think it's an engraving? It's numbered a/p II 2/8. It is a very interesting piece with "erotic hidden images" throughout. Someone told me it falls into the catigory of "ambiguous erotic art". Would...

View more questions Search