Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matthew47 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Defamation of character by old employer
    I was extended and offer of employment with Company A, who was supplying product to Company B. I previously worked for a sister Company of Company B and was terminated from them. As is the case, the information about me being extended an offer of employment from Company A leaked to Company B, who in turn stated that they would refuse to work with me as a result of my previous termination from their sister Company. Company A therefore decided to recind their offer of employment.

Is this a case of defamation of character by Company B. Do I have grounds to file suit against them for slander and defamation of character?

Mar 18, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Defamation of character, additional info
    P.S Company A resides in South Carolina and Company B resides in New York. The sister Company is in Virginia.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew47 View Post
    Is this a case of defamation of character by Company B. Do I have grounds to file suit against them for slander and defamation of character?
    Hello mat:

Company B didn't do anything to you except refuse employement which they can legally do, as long as you aren't a member of a protected class of people.

Company A might have slandered you if they lied. If they told the truth, you won't win against them.

Now lets talk about Company C, the sister company where you got fired from. If the leak to Company B was the truth, then even Company C isn't guilty of slander...

However, being guilty has nothing to do with winning or losing a lawsuit.

Most companies have strict policies stating that only the dates of employment are provided. They do that, because when they say ANYTHING else, they are subject to a lawsuit - even if it's a nuisance lawsuit.

Often times these lawsuits are settled long before they get to court. So, if you hired a lawyer, and he threatened ALL of 'em, the money tree might bear you some fruit.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 03:54 PM

Additional information to what ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 18, 2009, 03:59 PM
    >Threads Merged<

Mar 18, 2009, 04:24 PM

I was injured in an accident. The state has filed criminal felony charges against me and the trial is set for this summer. Company C decided that I intentionally caused he accident myself, believing the state's allegations and thus terminated me on these grounds as stated in the termination letter.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 06:13 PM
    I was injured in an accident. The state has filed criminal felony charges against me and the trial is set for this summer. Company C decided that I intentionally caused he accident myself, believing the state's allegations and thus terminated me on these grounds as stated in the termination letter.

And if someone informed someone else of the charges it is not defamation - it's the truth.
    pritter Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2009, 10:59 PM

Since you've not been found guilty, I question whether Company C rightly terminated you on the basis of pre-trial charges.

The same reasoning applies to Company B's threats to Company A. You are innocent until found guilty in a court of law.

Also, Company B's threat to Company A that they would not do business with them if you were in Company A's employee is malicious and intended to spoil any chances of employment at Company A. This isn't legal.

I hope you become pro-active and consult a pro-active attorney specializing in employee rights.

The verdict is not in yet. You may be acquitted. Firing you on the basis of charges yet to be tried, passing on this information as fact, and threatening a company with future business if your employeement offer isn't recinded affects your ability to enjoy gainful employment and is illegal.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pritter View Post
    You are innocent until found guilty in a court of law.
    Hello pritter:

Nice try, but you're WAYYYYYYY wrong. I don't disagree with your sentiment above, and if we were talking about what the COURT did, or what the COPS did before his trial, I'd be saying the same thing as you.

But, we're not talking about the court or the cops. We're talking about his employer. His employer, as opposed to the courts, do NOT have to consider him innocent. If they want to think he's guilty, and DO something about it, they are free to do so. He is NOT entitled to a job while the court does it's thing.

I also agree with your assessment of Company B. They DID act in a malicious manner and it WAS their intent to prevent the OP from getting a job there.

But, it's not illegal to act maliciously. Plus, they did have legal grounds for doing so. Unless you have an employment contract, are a member of a union, or are a member of a class of protected individuals, you can be fired for ANY reason, in this country - ANY REASON WHATSOEVER.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pritter View Post
    Since you've not been found guilty, I question whether Company C rightly terminated you on the basis of pre-trial charges.

The same reasoning applies to Company B's threats to Company A. You are innocent until found guilty in a court of law.

Also, Company B's threat to Company A that they would not do business with them if you were in Company A's employee is malicious and intended to spoil any chances of employment at Company A. This isn't legal.

I hope you become pro-active and consult a pro-active attorney specializing in employee rights.

The verdict is not in yet. You may be acquitted. Firing you on the basis of charges yet to be tried, passing on this information as fact, and threatening a company with future business if your employeement offer isn't recinded affects your ability to enjoy gainful employment and is illegal.

You are absolutely incorrect by Law - please post your source that "this" isn't legal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 06:51 AM

Matthew,

I see no defamation or slander, sorry. It may depend on what Co B actually said to Co A, but I doubt if they said anything actionable.

Co C had the right to terminate you because of the their view of the accident. Even were you to be acquitted in court, they still had the right to terminate you.

If Co B simply told Co A they would not do business with you, that was their right. And Co A had the right to rescind the offer. Even if Co B told Co A that you were terminated from C because they believed you caused the accident, they only told the truth so there is no slander or defamation.

Sorry, this isn't what you want to hear, but it IS what the law is.

Mar 19, 2009, 08:36 AM

Yes, I understand. But does Company B have the right to disclose the fact that I was terminated from Company C? Although they are sister companies, they are definitely different companies doing different businesses. I believe that only Company C has the right to disclose this information to prospective employers if so asked. So if Company B improperly divulged information, which they have access to, but not the authority to, then do I have a case of defamation or slander?
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 08:46 AM
    I believe that only Company C has the right to disclose this information to prospective employers if so asked.
    Hello again, matthew:

There is NO law that prevents companies from sharing information - even if NOT asked. They could get on the phone and volunteer it. You have no guarantee of privacy in the workplace. I don't know what makes you think you do.

WHO says what to who, ISN'T grounds for a lawsuit. It's WHAT they say, and if what they said is the TRUTH, than there's no law broken.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 11:50 AM
    Yes, I understand. But does Company B have the right to disclose the fact that I was terminated from Company C? Although they are sister companies, they are definitely different companies doing different businesses. I believe that only Company C has the right to disclose this information to prospective employers if so asked. So if Company B improperly divulged information, which they have access to, but not the authority to, then do I have a case of defamation or slander?
    Nope, the only issue here is whether the information passed was accurate. Company C is under no compulsion to keep the information confidential. They can certainly pass the info to Company B if they wish. Company B can then do with that info as they wish.

Sorry my friend, you are grasping at straws here. You have no legal grounds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defamation of character [ 1 Answers ]

How much to sue, my husband, in a defamation of character case

Defamation of Character by previous employer? [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening, The job market's tight enough in some industries, and when your two primary references may not be giving appropriate responses when potential employers call for references, is action possible? We do not seek any damages, just for the two former employers to act professional (I...

Defamation of my character [ 1 Answers ]

I have a job in an health facilty.. I had to be finger printed.. thus 4 times as they were not readable.After the 4th time they were done at the trooper barracks in olean,ny.thus they still came back not readable.They I assume did a background check which came up with a prostitution arrest in...

Defamation of Character [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if I can counter-sue for defamation of character and slander for this situation. I responded to a person's house who called police. Upon arriving there the person was uncooperative. He decided that he did not want the police there anymore and in order for him to shut...

Defamation of character [ 6 Answers ]

If someone that works at the front desk of my apartment building calls me a "bad tenant" while on the phone with someone that called to leave a message for me, is that considered defamation of character?

View more questions Search