Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortstuff001 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Example to explain a precipitate
    The question I am asked is to use an example to explain a precipitate and give an example of an instance when it forms. Wow I need an example to prove another example? What exactly is it asking me in lamemens terms?

double displacement with a soild (Total Ionic Equation)as an example to explain precipitate than a Net Ionic Equation as example of an instance?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 07:51 PM

A precipitate? In layman's terms, it is a substance that is insoluble (can't be dissolved) in water.

It is often formed from a substance in solution by allowing it to react with something that is added to the solution. For example, calcium chloride, CaCl2, is quite soluble in acidic water solutions, but calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2 is not. If you add a solution of a strong base, say sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to a calcium chloride solution, you will form calcium hydroxide that will "precipitate out" (form an insoluble precipitate that will fall to the bottom of the container, or can be filtered off).

Mar 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
    I do understand what a precipitate is I need to know how to use an example to explain a precipitate and give an example of an instance when it forms. Would I use double displacement with a soild (Total Ionic Equation)as an example to explain precipitate than a Net Ionic Equation as example of an instance?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 04:36 AM

I gave you an example of a precipitate with Ca(OH)2.

Mar 19, 2009, 09:56 AM

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I explain why I KNOW [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Christian and have been for over 35 years, I have a gift that many people do not understand, I don't understand it, but I accept it . There are just things I know when I touch people. It doesn't happen all the time, just when people are very stressed or upset or nervous. It just comes to me,...

How can I tell if a double displacement reaction will form a precipitate? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how I can determine if a precipitate will form in a double displacement reaction plzzzzzzzzzzz :confused:

View more questions Search