Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Who believes in fighting for love until the end and who believes its time to let go?
    Basically I'm just curious because there are lots of people that believes that there is a time to let go and move on with your life but is there anyone who believes that love will make them fight for the very end? And why?

For me even though I still have feelings for my ex it haven't been the same lately and I believe maybe its time to let go at first I felt like I was willing to do anything to keep her but the more time I spent away from her the more worthless I see it is... I guess love blinds you neh?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by none12345 View Post
    but is there anyone who believes that love will make them fight for the very end? and why?
    Hello none:

Yes - ME. Cause true love is worth fighting for. I never took the easy way out of anything.

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 12:11 PM

When the break up is fresh I think we all have that feeling that we can save this and it is worth saving. But as time goes by those feelings fade and you realize it was never worth saving.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 12:12 PM

True love is worth fighting for.

But if all it took was space and some time this is not true love.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 12:17 PM

While I do agree that the prospect of fighting for love is highly Hollywoodized, I think that it is a romantic notion in most cases. I don't think I'd be able to give a blanket statement, but would need to evaluate each situation, each relationship individually.

Sadly, most of the times that people want to fight for love is when the love is unrequited for a reason. Not just the "I fell out of love with you, make me think you love me, too" fighting for love, but the "I cheated on you for months on end, have emotionally/physically abused you, and want you to live a life of solitude for me, but I still want you to love me" kind of love.

Does that sound cynical? I hope not. Rationally, I think that each situation needs to be evaluated before you can say, "Yes, I Believe in fighting for love" and "No, that's only for the movies."

Because there are times when I sure do believe that the guy should fight for the girl (and vice versa!)
    CrazyThumper Posts: 82, Reputation: 36

Mar 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Yup- I believe in fighting for love. But as Historianchick said it is situational.

I have no tolerance for cheaters, liars, people who deceive their significant other etc. In those cases- no I don't feel there is a need to fight for it. Or in cases where one wishes to venture off to 'see what else is out there'. I don't believe in that, and wouldn't fight for someone who wants to go and do that.

I do believe in fighting for love when things are up in the air, and people are confused. Where real love has existed for some time, and neither person really wants to let go/give up. Time does heal all wounds, and people will make their own decisions - BUT I will go out with a bang and make SURE the other person knows how I feel about them, how much I care, and how I would have/will always be there for them. Once you do all that- it's time to let go and then it up to whatever you believe in to see where it leads. This does not include going psycho stalking, etc.. That is not what fighting for love is in my op.

Thump
    michele1983 Posts: 32, Reputation: 6

Mar 16, 2009, 01:38 PM

I agree as well that its situational. But in a broad sense I'd say Fight for Love until the END... because face it, there is an END where you did all you could... THEN you LET GO
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 04:06 PM
    In basketball or hockey it's a 48 or 60 minute game. Obviously we don't play our hearts out right in the beginning, because we will have no more energy for the rest of the game. But sometimes... towards the middle of the game, we are losing so badly that the game appears to be out of reach.

There are two approaches... some would argue that it's not over until it's over... so you keep going. So may say that it's over and we should sit down and let the backups play the rest of the game and try harder at the next game.

The painful part is that we lost the game before even trying our best.

To put this in a greater perspective. What if you really love this girl? It's the World Cup of Soccer/Football Championship game. One game decides it all... if you lose, the pain lasts even longer cause the next chance is 4 years later.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:03 PM

If your partner isn't willing to fight as hard, and long as you are, what's the point?
    crazyoverher Posts: 319, Reputation: 6

Mar 17, 2009, 06:53 PM

Hi... I agree with talaniman.

I have fought so hard for my relationship with my GF for sooo long. Sure, I got her back, only for her to leave me over and over again... in the end, I am a romantic - and in that sense, when all else fails AFTER I have fought so hard for it... then I will go out with a bang and not a coward. WRite her my last email and then move on.

Haven't been able to move on quite yet though.. but every day I am getting better without her and learning that MAYBE, just maybe, its for the best.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Giving up is such a crappy feeling. We never wish it would come to that, but we have no choice. We say that we are in control of our own actions, but we are not in control of the actions and feelings of others.

Nor matter how much we like someone, they might not feel the same way and there's nothing we can do it about it. It sucks, but it's life I guess.
    KatiePlce Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Mar 18, 2009, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyoverher View Post
    hi...i agree with talaniman.

i have fought so hard for my relationship with my GF for sooo long. Sure, i got her back, only for her to leave me over and over again...in the end, i am a romantic - and in that sense, when all else fails AFTER i have fought so hard for it...then i will go out with a bang and not a coward. WRite her my last email and then move on.

havent been able to move on quite yet though..but every day i am getting better without her and learning that MAYBE, just maybe, its for the best.
    Same here, but even fighting for it to just end, still I learned a lot about what I truly deserve & it made me grow in some ways.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 01:06 PM

I only believe in fighting for love if the person I am with is fighting with me to make it last. Otherwise I know when to throw in the towel and admit to defeat.
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Mar 18, 2009, 01:31 PM

True love needs no fight. True love is usually the answer to whatever issues may cause friction between partners. Whatever it is that makes people want to fight till the end is usually some other feeling, stemming from selfishness, desperation, or loneliness.

If you have to fight for love, I'd say walk away before you get hurt.
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Mar 18, 2009, 02:18 PM

You should have to fight for love because when 2 people love each other you don't break up.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    I only believe in fighting for love if the person I am with is fighting with me to make it last. Otherwise I know when to throw in the towel and admit to defeat.
    Had to spread the rep liz, but I am so with you on this! Well said! And I couldn't agree more.
    what2do27 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2009, 10:00 AM

That's why I don't understand the no contact method.
    How are you fighting for something if you aren't contacting them whatsoever?
    I'm going on my 4th week of no contact (I sent flowers during the first week just respecting her decision) but depending on the girl you are with... it just doesn't make sense.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 10:19 AM
    That's why I don't understand the no contact method.
    After a break up, your in shock, and the only thing you care about is why she did it to you, and how to keep her in your life, in case she changes her mind, and staying close, so she won't forget you.

The last thing most of us think is accepting her feelings have changed, and heal, and get on with the business of life.

In trying to stay close as "friends" we get false hope, and a lot of misery, pain, confusion, and drama. Thats why we go NO Contact, to recover from the shock, let the emotional dust settle, so we can make better decisions for ourselves, based on facts, and not feelings. NC, is the start of the healing process.

There's also the saying: "Distance makes the heart grow fonder"
    That's for people who will be together, or are very much together, not every one who breaks up. When one partner wants out, the unusually take time to get up the courage to let you know.

You'll understand better when you're the one who changes feelings for your partner, and want out of the relationship.

You won't be shocked, and confused, as the partner you dump, that's why its seems so sudden when you do get dumped, because for you, it is.

No Contact is for healing, and not a method to get an ex to come back, that's up to them.
    ONLYHERETOHELP Posts: 24, Reputation: 4

Mar 21, 2009, 10:25 AM

Can you kindly inform me what your definition of 'fighting' is? Chasing after something that doesn't want to be caught?
    MiSSsy111222 Posts: 267, Reputation: 29

Mar 21, 2009, 10:36 AM

Sometimes we fight for love because we are blinded by the fact that the relationship is not working. The reality is the relationship is not working for a reason. You shouldn't have to fight for true love.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who believes in the Cfristmas Story and the Birth of Jesus? [ 36 Answers ]

I was sitting here reading different things and I started to wornder how many people on the AMHD site believe in the Birth of Jesus and the story of Christmas, yes I know that people will say that Jesus was not born in that time of the year, and the other things that will be said. I just want...

The High Priest of the Darwinist Doctrine believes in Intelligent Design? [ 32 Answers ]

When I speak of the High Priest of the Darwinian Movement I am sure you all know I am taking about the very Faithful Richard Dawkins. ;) I watched a very interesting Documentary that I encourage you all to rent and watch.( Expelled, No intelligence allowed) It is a documentary about the...

The American Left believes in free speech, right? [ 6 Answers ]

How about this from Politico: "Today, Fournier inflamed the netroots yet again, with his (Drudge-worthy) analysis: 'Biden pick shows lack of confidence.'" ... "Steven Benen, who just moved to the Washington Monthly this week, wrote that Fournier's "objectivity covering the presidential race...

My husband believes in spanking and I don't [ 12 Answers ]

My husband tells me that I'm a bad mom because I don't spank my kids I try to correct them with other methods how do I know if he's gone too far with it.

What a fool believes? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All! This is a kind of complicated story (arenīt they all?! ). I met a rather attractive but considerably younger woman (I am 37 and she is 22) and we flirted for a while and then about 5 weeks ago, we got together. We haven't slept with each other yet and I am planning on being in the...

View more questions Search