Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robo35 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Alpha radiation vs beta
    Alpha radiation does not penetrate glass. Why wouldn't an alpha emitter be used in a shield experiment against beta emitters?
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 14, 2009, 02:10 AM
    Dear robo

How would you envisage alpha emitters to stop beta radiation?
    Alpha radiation consists of helium nuclei, and are mainly emitted by radioactive elements, particularly those with a high atomic number.
    Beta radiation are electrons (or positrons), also emitted by radioactive elements.

Bombarding an alpha emitter (i.e. radioactive elements) with beta radiation will not shield either the alpha or beta radiation, but could result in increasing the strength of both the alpha and beta radiation processes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Microwave radiation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the frequency of microwave radiation which had a wavelength of 10.7 cm?

Introducingan alpha type puppy to non alpha neutered male adult [ 1 Answers ]

I have a8 week old german shepard pup and am introducing her to a household with a 6yr old whetland terrier (popeye) who has always been the submissive dog with our other dogs - the last alpha passed several months ago. Popeye at first just stayed on my bed and would show his teeth and growl when...

Radiation flashover [ 1 Answers ]

How can a fire be extinguished in a radiation flashover? I thought that if it was a radiation flashover then it would make the fire worse. Also if radiation falshover occours then would any door in that room still be in tact?? :confused:

Radiation, range of alpha particles [ 5 Answers ]

Alpha particles lose 5 x 10(-18) J of kinetic energy in each collision they make with an air molecule. An alpha particle traveling through air at STP undergoes around 5(5) ionising collisions with the air molecules for each centimeter of air they travel through. Calculate the range of the alpha...

Radiation [ 1 Answers ]

Iwould like to know what SSTCs stands for?

View more questions Search