Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    javylynx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Rheem Classic 90 A/C unit noise at start up only
    I have a Rheem Classic 90 , 3 years old . Started my a/c unit today and it made a noise at start up only . It was something like rrrrrrrrrrrrr, for a brief second , stopped and ran just fine after. Anybody have any clues what this might be.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
    It could have been a slight lack of oil/lubrication on start up. When they sit all winter it all drains down to the crank case and not much is free flowing to lube the upper end of the compressor.
    Mikie D Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 04:14 PM

One possibility if you have a line set that travels vertically to an attic liquid ref. can migrat back to the comp and cause a hard labor upon initial start and the lack of oil flow because of season start up.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 04:45 PM
    The unit is probably equipped with a scroll compressor. Long periods of non-use (like winter) will result in noisy initial start-up, as the scroll is in the top and the oil is in the bottom. I wouldn't be concerned if this is a seasonal one-time occurrence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Rheem Classic 90+ high pitch noise from blower [ 3 Answers ]

Just had a new Rheem Classic 90 plus furnace installed.. I noticed that the blower seems to make a high pitch noise that emulates through the ducts.Not as bad in the bedrooms upstairs.I pointed the noise out to my contractor and he seems to think its coming from something the ducts.. I read on...

Rheem 90 Classic [ 5 Answers ]

For the last month or so my two year old Rheem 90 Classic model #RCGA-36A2GG21XI condensing furnace keeps cycling on for a minute, the flame lights up, the fan comes on and then it turns off. A minute later the same thing happens for about 5 times. Then all of a sudden it works fine. A couple of...

RHEEM A/C Unit blower motor won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I have a problem with my RHEEM air package unit Air and heating, the blower motor won't start and it keeps blowing my 24v transformer, transformer literally blows up by doing an explotion noise. Now I am thinking that it might be the blower motor it self the one returnig High Voltage power to my...

Rheem Classic Clicking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with my outdoor Rheem Classic 9 Heat Pump I just reciently changed the fan control relay, after a week of running it seems to be clicking. I problem I had before with the relay was it would not turn the fan. I can tell the clicking is coming from that relay. I don't know if...

Rheem Classic 90 Plus Blower start issue [ 11 Answers ]

The blower started acting up for few weeks. There was a several consistent short rumblings of the blower, something like half second on and half second off after ignition. Once the rumbling is over, the blower fan just works fine. I can also hear the relay inside the control box clicks when it...

View more questions Search