Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megan78 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2009, 01:40 PM
    My son being overprotective of my daughter
    Hi, I need help on how to deal with my son at the moment.
    I have 6 kids and they all get on fantastically well, there's hardly any fighting and its totally great. I have a daughter who is 14 and a son that is 16. My daughter started going out with a guy who is 16 (theyve been together 3 or 4 months now) and my sons gotten VERY overprotective in the last 2 months. Ryan (daughters boyf) did a lot of drinking and drugs in the last 2 or 3 years but he stopped when he started seeing my daughter because she told him too. I know he's definitely stopped because his parents are good friends of mine and my daughter told me he had and her and I are very close.
    Anyway, of course my son doesn't believe this and he gets all pissed of when Ryan is about or when my daughters going to see him. He's a nice guy that I've known since he was a baby so I have no objection to him going out with my daughter and all I want is for my son to stop acting this way. Im not going to take away his opinion and he can talk about it with me or his dad when ever he wants, I just want him to stop embarrassing my daughter when Ryans with her.

Talking to him isn't working which worrys me because I'm close with him and this isn't like him.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 10:59 PM

Maybe he has a reason to feel this way. Just because everybody might think that everything is cool and okay with this person. Maybe this person is not good news. Your son has every right to feel over protective of his sister. This is normal. At the same time he needs to understand that he can not control the situation but God help the guy if he does anything to his sister. You can not force him not to act a certain way but just try keeping the communication open with your son.

Joe
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Mar 10, 2009, 11:31 PM

I agree. I think he is just being a typical over protective brother. Whether this kid is good news or bad news is unknown to us. But if you and your daughter feel that the son's behavior is overbearing, have HER talk to him. He seems to be out for her best interest, so perhaps she's the one that will be able to tell him to cool off a bit.
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Mar 13, 2009, 10:56 AM

That's very sweet of him but tell him he can't act this way if its hurting your daughters feelings. Ask him how he'd feel if she was like that to him.. he wouldn't like it.
    rebel-2 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Usually your child knows more than what you actually might know.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 09:42 PM

Tell him she needs to make her own decisions and her own mistakes and she will learn from that.
    It's a beautiful thing that he is doing this but he needs to trust her and let her live and learn.Just like a parent has to many times.
    Megan78 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the advice, I've him and my daughter the sit down and chat, that seems to have helped. He has stop being mean when Ryans about but there is still the tension. All I can do is give it time and see how it works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overprotective brothers [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 older brothers age 18,17,15 and 1 older sister 16. My brothers are all very overprotective of me but they're not the same with my sis. I need advice and don't say it's natural cause its really upsetting me, also tell me how your siblings are with you/how you are to your siblings

Overprotective mother [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a stepmother. My husbands 2 children have been homeschooled throughout their entire school career. My step daughter "graduated" from home school June 2008. My step son is 16yrs old and a junior in homeschool. My husbands exwife has full custody and he can only see his kids when she lets...

Mom Being Overprotective [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a grade 11 student and I am 16, I really like/love this guy named tyler, he is in grade 12 and he is 18. Tyler is in my moms words slow and hyper; I agree with the hyper part but not the slow part. He asked me out a little while ago and I told him my mom would prob not let me go out...

Overprotective roommate [ 2 Answers ]

So about five months ago, me and my good friend decided to move in with each other in a two bedroom aptartment. And as far as I'm concerned, its going well. We have nice things, and we always pay the bills on time. My problem is this though. I started dating this guy about two and a half months...

Overprotective father. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey I'm Linda. First off, I'm 16 years old but I'm turning 17 this October. My mother died when I was a month old and I moved to New York to live with my grandparents for 13 years while my dad stayed in Florida until my dad thought he was ready to take care of me.. but he pretty much stayed out...

View more questions Search