Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedsHelp09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 08:29 PM
    Dog odor in house
    Our house smells like a doghouse. We have a large bulldog in our home. He sheds a lot. We have had the carpet professionally steam cleaned and the house still smells like our dog. It's in the air. I was thinking maybe it is in the duct work. My question is would getting our duct work cleaned get rid if this smell?

It is a very very strong smell and I have cleaned everything multiple times trying to get rid of the smell and nothing seems to work, that's why I think it's in air. It's in every room.

Our house was brand new when we moved in if that helps. We've lived here for five years and had our dog for four years. The smell has gotten worse over the years. We are clean people and this is really embarrassing for us and we are at our wits end.

Just to make sure you understand, this is not a potty issue, he goes outside and thankfully we've never had a problem with him doing anything inside.

Thank you so much for your responses. I made this account to ask this question, and I hope I put it in the correct place. Thank you so much.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Have you tried purchasing an Air Purifying system? [Aerus has good ones- Google them]

Try bathing the dog regularly, if you don't already.

Light some good candles [i.e. Yankee Candles], open your windows for fresh air to circulate in your home.

I do think cleaning your ducts would be a great idea, not only for the smell but for better air quality in the home.

Goodluck to you!
    MRS.S
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Check your dog to see if there's any skin conditions. Several parasites can cause a "doggy odor". Dandruff would be my next guess. A trip to the vet and some doggie shampoo sounds like a comprehensive plan; oh, and pick up some Febreze fabric deodorizer on the way home. It's wonderful
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Your dog, at some point in time has urinated on the carpet. This soaks trrough the carpet and through the padding on to the sub-floor. Cleaning the carpet won't get rid of the smell since it has penetrated the wood structure. You will have to remove the carpet, have the sub-floor treated and sealed then replace the carpet. And keep the dog out of the house.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 23, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Very good answers above regarding the airing out the house with open windows as well as using a Air filter.

Another option is if you are using a Vacuum use one with a hepa filter and no bag so that you are not putting that smell from the carpets back into the room.

I use a air freshener I got from Sams Club called OdoBan
    It is Wonderful and kills all sorts of odors and does it well without adding all that perfume smell many sprays give.

It comes in a big bottle that you water down according to how you will be using. I keep a spray bottle to freshen things throughout the house a little like Febreeze but without that heavy perfumed smell.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 02:57 PM

People teach you. Fabric furniture and carpeting tells the truth, mostly. I learned that a dog's odor can come from his parents, it they were oily and odeous. Bulldogs are wonderful, so are Pugs. We found a new home for our Pug because his odor was so strong, even right after a bath, it made me naseous. Bathe your dog regularly, his short hair makes it easier.

We have a Basenji, and Chihuahuas. We fostered a Greyhound. The Basenji and Greyhound are odorless. Two of the Chihuahuas need to be bathed at least once a week, the other, once a month. My house doesn't smell like a dog anymore and the Pug is loving his new home. His new mom sends me pictures all the time and we are free to visit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of dog odor from house? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. Okay, I have been on vacation for the last 3 weeks. We had our neighbor taking care of our dog. We left him in our basement because he isn't trustworthy in the house alone. There is plenty of space down there and it stays cooler. Anyway - our neighbors have told us that he was let out a...

Odor in House. [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a new house that was built in the 40's. We have a crawl space and every winter I close the crawl space vents so the pipes will not freeze. Every time I do this, we will get an odor that comes in the house after we run the washing machine or if we take showers. I've checked in the...

Odor in my house [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have had an odor in the house for the last 8 weeks and still can't track what it is. It smells like gas at times. The funny thing is that we don't have gas at all. I had a plumber come through all he did is smell the sinks and my vent stacks and said my plumbing is fine. Its not a dead rat or...

Oil odor throughout house [ 1 Answers ]

Recently our furnace had back up problems-now repaired. Our home now smells terribly of oil resulting from the backup. No oil leak.

View more questions Search