Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bnagy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Leaking 2-handled tub faucet
    We have a 2-handled tub faucet (Kohler) that is leaking. The plumber I called for an estimate wants to change out everything -the faucet, the handles, the shower, and do it by cutting a hole in the wall behind the tub. He says the 1976 plumbing should be replaced. I just want the tub to stop leaking - can we just replace the handles? What should I look for to justify replaceing it all?
    jimmythedog Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2009, 08:10 AM

A faucet that old possibly is ready for replacement. The hole that the plumber is talking about is for access to the faucet, which he would probably cover with a access panel for any possible future repairs. You may be very happy with a new modern faucet and you leak problem will be solved.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 08:38 AM

Old does not mean replacement, most faucets can be rebuilt by installing new seats and washers. You need to figure out what model you have but many repair kits are available at ACE. ACE FAUCET REPAIR KIT FOR KOHLER A0088530 DANCO CORP.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 08:38 AM

Hi bnagy
    Could use some more info. Is the leak hot or cold water? Does it leak when diverter to shower is set for shower?
    U can try changing the washers on faucet spindle and the seats in the spindle housing.

Good luck

Chuck

Mar 6, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Response to Chuck:
    The water leaking is hot, but I'm sure the cold handle is ready to be replaced, too. When the shower is running, some water does still come out of the faucet.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 05:19 PM

You can try to repair it, but just beware that a faucet that old my give you some fits. Sometimes the seats just won't come out. I would try repair first, but be ready to replace complete fuacet (worst case senerio). Good luck and please let us know what you decide and how things work out.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 06:23 PM

My feelings are=if it isn't broke don't fix it. It appears that the hot water and diverter are your 2 problems. I would not do anything with cold water. Replacing the washer may be all u have to do with the hot water. If u have the tool to remove the seat, u can pull it and see if it is grooved. If smooth it is still good.

Replacing washer in diverter should stop water from coming out faucet when set for shower.

Let us know how u make out.

Good luck

Chuck
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 07:48 PM

There are a lot of the 1976 model faucets that I would rather have than some of the faucets that are on the market today. Some of the new faucet manufactures are ashamed to put a name on their merchandise.

So if I were you I would go to an old established full service plumbing shop and find out if they have the parts to your faucet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2009, 05:58 AM
    We have a 2-handled tub faucet (Kohler) that is leaking. The plumber I called for an estimate wants to change out everything
    There are two types of service plumbers out today. A replacement plumber that recommends tearing out everything and replacing it with new stuff and a repair plumber that looks for the most inexpensive way to repair the fault and get you on your way. I was trained by my father as as repair plumber..
    There isn't a mixing valve in the world that can't be repaired if you have the parts and skill to do it. You have a replacement plumber. I would call in a repair plumber before I allowed anybody to start tearing up your bathroom walls. Check out Bobs Ace Faucet Repair Kit and if you want to try your own repair we can walk you through it. Let us know, Tom

Mar 7, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Thank you all for your help! I am handy, but don't know anything about plumbing. I will look into the ACE faucet repair kit, and we do have a plumbing supply store near by that most likely has what I would need for a repair. However, I do not have the tools needed to replace the washer. Is it worth buying them and what do I do if it gives me a problem? Do you think I would be better off finding a repair plumber since it's both faucet and handles that are problems? It's my only bathtub/shower and if I get stuck and need to call in a plumber anyway it may mean taking an unscheduled day off work. If I can schedule a repair, that's better all around. If I were certain that it would be a straight forward fix, I would try it. But if there is a possibility that I may run into trouble, I'd rather have someone do it with the knowledge to do it well. (And I have not a clue when it comes to spindles and seats.) Thoughts?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2009, 01:36 PM
    We're here to help! However, if you don't feel comfortable doing the job yourself call in a REPAIR PLUMBER to do the work. Good luck, tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 02:27 PM

There is a very good chance you will run into trouble if you don't even have the tools to change the washer much less the seats, if they needed it. Also it would take a person with more confidence that you seem to imply that you have. Plumbing is an art that takes a little knowledge and a little daring attitude to get things done. If I were you I would not hesitate to call a Plumber, one who will work with you and not just sell you something.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 02:35 PM

Body of the faucet is the very last thing that goes wrong. These bodies can be inside wall for 100 years and still function fine. It is the stems and seats that have to be periodically replaced. If you like the style of your old faucet - replace stems and seats. You will end up with fully functional faucet again. Yes, stems may be expensive and may cost you more than new, single handle, faucet. But there is no need to cut out the entire body...
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 09:52 AM

If you want to try this, I would suggest removing stem and changing washer only. No special tools need here. Just a wrench(or socket set, if stem nut is located behind wall), and a screwdriver to remove washer gasket. While you have the stem out, take a flashlight and visually inspect seat(located inside valve body, this is the part that the washer "seats" to. Also take small flat blade screw driver and slide it over the face of the seat to see if there are any rought spots on it. It should be smooth. It its got any rough spots on it, the seat will need to be replaced, or ground down till its smooth. You will need a special tool to remove the seat. There is also a tool to smooth the seat without removing it(which a repair plumber may have, but most likely not worth purchasing one yourself).

If you call in a plumber, let them know that you would like the faucet fixed, not replaced, let them know how old it is, What brand it is, the problem you are having, etc. If they mention that they may need to replace it, then call another plumber until you find one that says, we will try our best to fix it. Good luck and please let us know what you decide.

PS. If you do try to fix it yourself,, make sure to turn the main water to the house off before dissasembling faucet.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Delay in water at single handled kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

When we turn on the single handled kitchen faucet no water comes out initially. It doesn't seem to matter what position the handle is in. Repeating the process will turn the water on immediately sometimes, but not always.

Leaking faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking faucet in the bathroom (hot water side in the sink) last time I tried to do any plumbing, I ended up calling a plumber, any suggestions? It is dripping real slowly, even when turned all the way off?? :confused:

Leaking tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tub faucet that has begun to leak out of the metal piece you push in to activate the shower. I don't believe it is leaking anywhere else. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Leaking faucet [ 2 Answers ]

We have a leaking faucet in our shower. It drips constantly and is costing us mega $$$$$ on the water bill! I don't know what the problem is but I can tell you it seems like the hot and/or cold water faucet doesn't completely shut off. My husband has tried to remove them (I don't know why and...

Leaking faucet [ 1 Answers ]

2 handle price-pfister kitcken faucet is leaking on hot water side. How does this cartridge remove and can it be repaired with new washers or do I need to replace the cartridge? Thanks

View more questions Search