Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickalan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Hardware/Software needed to configure a 3-computer network?
    Hello,
    I just need to know the necessary components needed to configure a network for three desktops without using a HUB/Switch.. Can I just use a router? What other components are neede if so?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2009, 11:29 AM

Well, you really need a hub/switch.

Fixed private IP addresses or most likely if you set everything to DHCP, it will work too. Don't recommend the latter.

The router may come with a built in hub/switch and a DHCP server.

The former makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get internet access. The later is required for Internet access.
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 11:22 PM

Then you have to go for router that's the best way to connect your pcs without any interruption.
    zxed Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickalan View Post
    Hello,
    I just need to know the necessary components needed to configure a network for three desktops without using a HUB/Switch..? Can i just use a router? what other components are neede if so?
    You can daisy-chain with USB bridge...

I wouldn't do it that way... feel free to Google instructions :)

Use a router with a 4 port switch..

Say no to hubs.
    madhumay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 12:45 AM
    How to improved 10 computer netwark system, *** help me
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 02:43 PM

Well beings that most routers now-a-days are multifunctional and are also built in switches with capabilities of IP dishing via DHCP. I would suggest using a router.

Using a router that is also a switch/DHCP server, offers many benefits over using normal switches and router only appliances. First off, there's less equipment and also centralized problem solving (if something goes wrong you don't have to check multiple equipment).

Are you more interested in the file sharing aspect of a network or do you just want these 3 PC's to connect to the internet? Either way getting a router w/ switch/DHCP funtionality is your best route.

Madhumay- I don't understand you're question. Please clarify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Configure Printer in Lan (Network) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, " How to Configure any Printer in Network(LAN) and One or more" Give me the answer quick. Thanking You

How Do I Configure A Wireless Network? [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on how to configure 4 computers for a wireless network... I have a wireless router, wireless network card and a modem.. please I need it urgently what are the procedures involved.. thankssssssssss for your anticipated help

What's the difference between hardware and software? [ 5 Answers ]

What's the difference between hardware and software? Is there any other difference other than that hardware is the physical components of a computer and software a set of instructions.:confused:

Problems with software/hardware? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I put together a system that should smoke, primarily for MS Flight Sim X. I have an AMD 6500+ 64 x 2. 4g DDR2 Ram. A gForce 8800 GTX with 756mg on board. X-Fi SB Xtreme PCIe Sound card. Running Vista with Directx 10. In FS X the graphics are great, but there is an extreme lag with...

Hardware or Software Problem? [ 1 Answers ]

I wiped out Windows Me on a Dell Dimension XPS D266, installed Windows98SE and now can't open IE or OE and anything I try to open is soooo painfully slow. I've fdisked, reformatted and reinstalled Win98SE 3 times and same results. I tried scanreg /fix in MS-Dos and results says it's fixed but it...

View more questions Search