Mar 4, 2009, 10:00 AM
    *gets back out of the corner*
    Well I might as well list the names of all the dogs we have had:

Great danes:
    Morgan, Olivia, Orion, Heidi, Johnny

Poodles:
    Charlie, Shae, Prada, Brodie, Logan, Tyler, Jordan

Shih Tzus:
    Elliott, Bliss (aka lollygobble bliss-bomb)

Chinese crested:
    Shawn (aka "stop peeing on the carpet ya little s#!t!")
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana52408 View Post
    At least someonee is right! ^^^^^
    'Im not that much of an idiot to buy someone a dog out of random. I only asked for names not for opinions. He wants one, his familly wants one, and since I'm so attached to animals I have hooks ups of people that can give me one.'

This is part of a post you initiated on giving your b/f a dog, you asked for names and was quite upset because you got so much more then just names. I believe it was Feb . l3th. This poster only asked for names, and she is probably getting a lot more then she bargained for which you got so upset at receiving.

ms tickle
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 4, 2009, 03:28 PM

Oh, one other thing you need to take into consideration, even though owning them may be legal, even if your homeowner insurance allows them, how do your neighbors feel about them? Remember Deuce? The lovely brown and white pitt that loved life and everything in it I mentioned? One of their neighbors (still unknown) shot him in the head when they weren't home because of their bias against pitts. I don't know what kind of people you live around, but you need to consider whether anyone would be so against the dog they would shoot, poison, or otherwise harm it. Also you must be careful of people stealing it. A lot of pitts go missing where I live.
    mexcelaya Posts: 86, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2009, 04:05 PM

Damn, but where I live (townhouses) you're a loud to have them with permission of the landlord which my mom and me know him very well and my neighbors really don't care because beside me no one lives and the other side the lady is barley there so...
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mexcelaya View Post
    damn, but where i live (townhouses) your a loud to have them with permission of the landlord which my mom and me know him very well and my neighbors really dont care because beside me no one lives and the other side the lady is barley there so....
    Thanks love for offering this additional information. It will probably get all our dog experts going again on having a dog in a closed space, especially a 'proposed' pitbull. Which as you know by now, covers a few breeds in that gender.
    Ana52408 Posts: 152, Reputation: 17

Mar 4, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    'Im not that much of an idiot to buy someone a dog out of random. I only asked for names not for opinions. He wants one, his familly wants one, and since im so attached to animals i have hooks ups of people that can give me one.'

This is part of a post you initiated on giving your b/f a dog, you asked for names and was quite upset because you got so much more then just names. I believe it was Feb . l3th. This poster only asked for names, and she is probably getting a lot more then she bargained for which you got so upset at receiving.

ms tickle
    Umm at least I understood at the end.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 05:05 PM
    yea i read it
    I do want to know why you've decided to crop the ears. Personally, the fact that it's illegal in a lot of countries should be enough to disuade you. Tail docking and ear cropping are cruel, not necessary and painful. Why are you going to do it?
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 05:11 PM

Alty, she is not saying she is gong to do it. Are you talking about the OP ? Did she say this?

She just said she read it, alty. This is just so circumstantial at the moment.

This is a 'name our dog post'. So my name would be appropriate for all dogs:

JUST Don't CALL ME LATE FOR DINNER

Tick
    Ana52408 Posts: 152, Reputation: 17

Mar 4, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    alty, she is not saying she is gong to do it. Are you talking about the OP ? Did she say this?

She just said she read it, alty. This is just so circumstantial at the moment.

This is a 'name our dog post'. So my name would be appropriate for all dogs:

JUST DONT CALL ME LATE FOR DINNER

tick
    She said she was going to do it.

Read all the posts, that's why alty keeps insisting!

Mar 4, 2009, 05:14 PM

Honestly in the PAST years my family had dogs ( only pitbull's) and all of them had there ears croped and I thought it looked good on them so that's the only reason I want to do it. Oh and in Virginia they are not illegal
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 05:16 PM
    honestly in the PAST years my family had dogs ( only pitbull's) and all of them had there ears croped and i thought it looked good on them so thats the only reason i want to do it. oh and in VIRGINA they are not illegal
    I didn't mean pitbulls are illegal, I meant that many countries have banned ear cropping and tail docking.

If you want more info on this I'll get it for you, it really isn't at all good for the poor dog, it's very painful and completely unnecessary. I'll leave it to you. If you want the info, I'll get it for you. Okay? :)

Mar 4, 2009, 05:17 PM

No I meant ear croping is not illegal where I live
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
    no i meant ear croping is not illegal where i live
    Oh, sorry. Just because it isn't illegal doesn't mean it's humane.

I won't lecture, I can't change your mind anyway, it's up to you, but I will supply the info, videos, vet advice, if you want to look at that before deciding. I'll leave it to you.
    Expert

Mar 4, 2009, 05:27 PM
    honestly in the PAST years my family had dogs ( only pitbull's) and all of them had there ears croped and i thought it looked good on them so thats the only reason i want to do it. oh and in VIRGINA they are not illegal
    Yes, you are right. They are not illegal in Viriginia, but only used for illegal purposes because of it. Where did you read that?

Why didn't you mention, my dear, in your original post that your family only had pitbulls as pets ? I find find your information a little bit strange to say the least. Why not post everything and get it over and done with. I thought you only wanted a name for your dog ?

There are good reasons for working dogs to be cropped in either tail or ear, because in some areas of the continents they are still used for that purpose, the only reason, however, pitbulls have their ears cropped is because it was less to bite off in a fight between the two dogs.

Tick

Mar 4, 2009, 05:57 PM

Well yea I wanted a NAME and I still want one, but people started saying that they have bad temper... and why am I getting a pitbull that I should get a smaller dog if I wanted a family dog, all I wanted was your (all of you) opinion of a good name.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 4, 2009, 06:47 PM

I don't think that pit bulls are "bad"; I think they are a breed that needs an experienced owner (as do German Shepherds, Rotties, Dobies, etc etc.)
    I like to give the "big bad breeds" a really non-threatening name--I had a friend who owned a 90+ pound male Pit Bull named Squat (he never learned to lift his leg). Very sweet dog but she started enforcing rules from day one. Squat finally died of cancer a few years ago. She recently had an opportunity to adopt a new Pit puppy whose name is "Beano". My German Shepherd is named Toby and my Doberman is Gus.
    I think people relax more when they meet a dog that has a light-hearted name. They ask more questions (instead of trying to get away from "Killer") and learn more about the positive aspects of the breed and about the individual dog.
    Just my two cent's worth!

Mar 4, 2009, 07:07 PM

Hey does your dobe has his ears croped if no do you think its cruel?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2009, 05:59 AM
    There are reasons dogs have cropped ears and docked tails.
    For example: Great Danes ears are cropped because they used to be used for hunting wild boar and they made the ears stand upright to help prevent them tearing their ears open when running through thick bushes.
    These days though it is done purely for cosmetic purposes as that's the way people are used to seeing them.
    Here in Aus cropping has been banned for many years but they have only banned tail docking in the past year or so.
    I completely support the bans as there is now no actual reason for these procedures to be done other than to make the dog look "better"

Sorry, off the original topic but I wanted to add :)
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 5, 2009, 07:44 PM

My Doberman does happen to have cropped ears and a docked tail, but I adopted him that way as an adult. My husband and I have had some arguments about cropping/docking--he says Dobermans look like Coonhounds without it and I tell him he obviously doesn't know that much about dog conformation--after all, Dobies are supposedly "his" breed; mine is German Shepherds. I don't know why we argue over something that is not likely to be an issue. I have never bought a dog in my life (adopted, picked up strays, begged and even stole one once--long story).
    I once heard cropping/docking referred to as "elective mutilation", and I have to agree. I love the look of a cropped Dobie but I can't justify it to myself. If the dog could show up at the vet's and ask for a cosmetic procedure so he could look like the dogs in magazines, it would be fine with me! As it is, it seems to be a VERY involved procedure done at a very young age that really serves no purpose nowadays except for our own vanity. And remember that tail docking involves cutting through the spinal cord!
    As for Pit Bulls, I hate that short crop most of them have--I love the long, half-mast inquisitive look that uncropped ears give them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search