Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quenie1975 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Ceiling fan/dimmer switch
    I have a dimmer switch that works the over head light. We are going to put a ceiling fan up where the light is, I wanted to know if we would have to replace the dimmer switch.
    jcevans1017 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2009, 07:06 AM

No. You will still be able to use the dimmer switch to dime your light on the fan. If it is just a single switch you will have to turn the fan on at the chain and the dimmer switch for the light.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 07:59 AM

It really depends on exactly what kind of dimmer switch you have. If it is a slide switch or knob that turns it must be replaced. There are switches that work with fans but they are stepped switches, usually 3-4 settings but not a true dimmer.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 01:05 PM

Short answer is YES, replace it. When you take the light down, look and see what wires are in the ceiling and we can re-advise you.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing ceiling switch with ceiling dimmer [ 4 Answers ]

Hi community! I'm quite OK when it comes to home electricals replacing sockets etc etc but this is an odd one. I have a bathroom ceiling switch with 2 wires coming to it (N & L). The ceiling dimmer switch seems to have 4 terminals; N & L Load and N & Live In. I'm foxed as to which way to wire...

So what exactly does happen with a dimmer switch / ceiling fan? [ 7 Answers ]

I have read at the ceiling fan FAQ that one cannot use a dimmer switch with a ceiling fan. Well I just installed a cheap Hampton Bay ceiling fan (and light) with remote. We used to have an overhead light on a dimmer switch, so for now, I just have the switch on and full power. The install was...

Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black. FAN OUTLET...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search