Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    functor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2009, 12:21 PM
    She wants the house - I want the money
    Hello, first time poster.

I'm going through a divorce right now (Married 5 years). We have a house that we bought while married. She supplied a nice down payment for it initially. I have been making more money over the last couple years, so I have been making most of the payments. There are no kids involved. We want to settle things ourselves without the need for lawyers (maybe at the very end).

Pretty much the only thing I want is half of the profit we'd make if we sold the house. Our house has appreciated in value so I figure we stand to make $70,000 if we sold it. I don't want to miss out on that.

The problem is that I don't think she can afford to pay me $35,000. What are my options? What am I entitled to?

Thanks.

PS - Divorce sucks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 2, 2009, 12:27 PM

If you're going to split the value of the house either she has to buy you out or you will have to sell the house and split the proceeds. If she can't afford to buy you out, then you're left with either (a) sell the house, or (b) work out a deal where she pays you over time for your half (this could be tricky). What you absolutely don't want is to keep your name on the existing mortgage, as you would still be responsible if she is unable to keep up with it.
    Electrican Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 10:52 PM

you may look into a land contract, where she would enter into an agreement to pay you after the mortgage has been satisfieyed, and if you need the cash faster there are several companies out their that you can sell this contract to at less than face value to get you cash quick, and let her keep the house, but its just a thought.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by functor View Post
    Hello, first time poster.

I'm going through a divorce right now (Married 5 years). We have a house that we bought while married. She supplied a nice down payment for it initially. I have been making more money over the last couple years, so I have been making most of the payments. There are no kids involved. We want to settle things ourselves without the need for lawyers (maybe at the very end).

Pretty much the only thing I want is half of the profit we'd make if we sold the house. Our house has appreciated in value so I figure we stand to make $70,000 if we sold it. I don't want to miss out on that.

The problem is that I dont think she can afford to pay me $35,000. What are my options? What am I entitled to?

Thanks.

PS - Divorce sucks!
    One option is to sell the house and divide the proceeds. That, or trade off her interest in some other property that you keep (like a retirement account of yours) to effectuate a buy out. This presupposes she cannot afford an outright cash buy out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House foreclosure rent money due [ 4 Answers ]

I am a landlord and my investment property is in the 1st stage of foreclosure. I am looking to reinstate it, but my tenants are refusing to pay rent until they find out what is going on. Can they withhold money? Can they live there rent free because of the situation? Please advise.

Inheretance tax on house and money [ 3 Answers ]

There are 4 kids in our family and my mother is struggling with how the inheretance will be divideed when she dies. The house is worth about 200k and she has about 200k in the bank. What would you expect to pay in taxes for the 200k house as one child's inheretance and for the other 3 children at...

My house! My land! My money! Not in my name! [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and father of my 2 children died 4 years ago. We had bought a mobile home 2 years before and put it in his name only. The home was placed on my family's farm and my grandmother gave me the $30,000 as a down payment. I have continued to pay the mortgage payments since then but the...

How can I save money to buy a house [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am 22 years old and I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. We are currently trying to think of ways to save money to buy a house. It seems it never happens something always gets in the way. I have credit card debt & a new car payment that I am currently trying to pay off and he has...

Who gets money for house [ 5 Answers ]

We married and bought a house in her name. I have no credit. Been together 11 years, married 7 of them. Bought house right after marriage. Were divorcing. Do I get 1/2 the money on the sale of the house? I live in massachusettes.

View more questions Search