Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Mar 1, 2009, 08:00 PM
    New Crate
    I recently brought a large crate into my room for my Dachshund puppy so she would have more room when I was away. My cat keeps going in it, scratching around and hissing when my puppy gets near it. I have a feeling that he is trying to "claim" it. I have been removing my cat from the crate and saying "no", and putting my puppy in it and praising her. I have been leaving it open so she is free to explore it today. Am I doing the right thing?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 08:08 PM

Find kitty an open cardboard box for his crate. Lay it so the open side is on the side, not on top. (Cats love caves.) Put a soft small blanket inside (warm it first in the dryer and let the cat snuggle into it).
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Mar 1, 2009, 08:22 PM

That's a good idea.
    I swear to god they are like brother and sister.
    They both compete for everything, but love each other to death.
    It's so cute cause they wrestle all the time and cuddle.

Who said dogs and cats don't get along?
    Haha
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2009, 08:33 PM

If kitty sits on top of the box, it will eventually collapse or at least sag. Pet stores have similar cat dens made of more durable material, or just find another cardboard box. Xerox/copier paper boxes are strong-sided, and reinforce it with duct tape etc.; check with your public library or Kinko's for one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Crate training my lab pup? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can any one help , I don't have my puppy yet , I get him in 4 days and I intend on crate training him but I've looked up advise on this and I'm very confused. I've been advised to lock my puppy I his crate overnight and when I'm out after taking steps to introduce him to it and get used to it...

How to de-crate my dog? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and my family think that is unfair for my mini dacshund to be locked up in his crate for up to eight hours a day. A woman who is a german vertinarian and that works in a dog spa informed my husband that the "crate" method is only masking the problems in the dog and is retarding it from...

Pooping in crate [ 13 Answers ]

I have had a 14 week old Bichon Frise for 5 days. On the first night he slept in his crate after about a 1/2 hr of barking and slept through without pooping. I feed him Nutro and walk him after every meal and more-lots of toy chasing and running around. Every night after the first night he has...

Peeing in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I need help and I am literally pulling my hair out in tears everyday because of it. I have a 6 month old border collie mix who refuses to stop peeing in his crate. I have a feeling it is a behavioral problem. He has been to the vet and his bladder is fine. Whenever we leave we put him in his crate...

View more questions Search