Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Water dripping onto furnace filter
    This will probably be hard to diagnose without seeing the problem but I though I would run it by you guys since the HVAC tech wasn't sure what to do. I have a lennox heat pump with the furnace in our garage. It is an upflow unit so the filter is at the bottom of the unit with the coils and drip pan just above. About a month ago when I went to change the filter I noticed some water was dripping onto the filter. It wasn't a whole lot but enough to cause a little mold growth on the filter. I called the hvac tech and he thought it was the condensation drain line sweating and dripping onto the filter. He came out and wrapped more insulation around the pipe. I mentioned to him I didn't think that's what it was but he isisted it would fix the problem. Well, I check the filter last night and sure enough there was more water on it. I noticed there is some wrapping underneath the drip pan and when I pulled the wrapping down just a little water came out. It looks like water is builidng up between the wrapping and the drip pan. I don't think it would be a leak since the unit is only 2 years old and the pan is plastic. Could the pan just be sweating underneath? Has anyone ever seen anything like this. I just want to know what I can't tell the hvac tech to help him diagnose the problem. Thanks for the help.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Sep 4, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Get the company back out there to do it right water shouldn't be coming into your furnase, make them do it right and the tech should know how to remady this... ask how long he's been doing this, and when calling a company ask how experienced the tech's are, Be sure to tell the phone contact the same problem still exist,, and you will not be paying additional monies, as you have already paid

Sep 5, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Thanks for the reply. The hvac guys is still at a loss as to how to stop the water from dripping. Its just a small drip and its seems to be coming from the underside of the steel frame that holds the coils. It looks like underside of the frame is sweating and its dripping into the corner and settling between the padding and underside of the drip pan. The tech says its due the furnace being in the garage and the high humidity of the area.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 5, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Get a second opinion - it really shouldn't be leaking inside the unit. Make sure the drain line in completely clear - examine the drain pan carefully - make sure it is level. Plastic can develop cracks too. Check any and all connections to the drain pan. A little food coloring in the pan would likely let you know if that were the source.

Sep 5, 2006, 11:06 AM
    We have been able to determine its definitely not a leak and the line is clear. It just seems to be sweating underneath for some reason. One explanation I was giving is that since the return air ducts runs through the garage that the return air warms up enough to cause condensation to develop a little on the galvanized steel holding the coils. Not sure if its accurate but it makes sense. I have had another hvac tech say the same thing. I may just need to insulate the return duct in the garage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Filter [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, After replacing my less than four year old water heater due to build up of crud I was wondering if there is a filter I can put on after the HWH to catch any crud that may slip through. My wife was complaining about pieces of rock in the water when she was taking a hot bath so I...

Water Dripping from Air Handler [ 8 Answers ]

I have a newly installed, (maybe four months ago), central AC unit. It is a split system, 3.5 tons, Rheem 13 SEER. Both the compressor and the air handler were replaced. All was working fine until yesterday, when I began hearing a dripping sound coming from beneath the air handler. A quick look...

Water Filter Systems [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently using an ionizing water filter system (Bel Ozono sold in South America) with two filters to treat water from a cistern. My concern in addition to giardia is decomposing animal matter (insects, lizards, snakes that fall in and drown). I wonder if there is a more effective undersink...

Whole House water filter [ 2 Answers ]

This past weekend I replaced my old water softener with a new one. While looking at the different models at Lowe's, I also noticed that they recommend a whole house water filter as a "pre-filter". As long as I was replacing the water softener, I figured I might as well add the filter. While I...

Cold water is just dripping... why? [ 1 Answers ]

We've lived in our slab ranch for 15 years. Over the past 7 or so years, we've noticed a slow in cold water pressure, to the point that right now it's just dripping out of the washer (it takes me 1:15 to wash one load in cold) and we're almost being scalded when we shower. Any ideas?

View more questions Search