Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessie jo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Legal rights
    Does the father of my baby have any rights to the baby if we are not married
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2009, 01:45 PM

He has no rights until he goes to Court and asks for them - there are rights which are inherent to the father but they must be granted by the Court. If you have physical custody of the child, then you get to make all of the decisions until the Court steps in.
    Maccaroni Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2009, 02:27 PM

In England the father would have the same rights as the mum if his name was on the birth certificate and he was in a relationship with the mum at the time of birth. Because the mum and dad aren't married he would also have to be present when the birth was registered to be on the register. It used to be that you had to be married but that has become impractical as many people chose not to get married before they have there first child. X
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 03:01 PM

The father has rights, but can not use them until the child is born, if you don't list him on the birth certificate, he will have to apply to the court for a DNA test to be proven the father. But his rights are there, it is just getting the courts to enforce them
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccaroni View Post
    In England the father would have the same rights as the mum if his name was on the birth certificate and he was in a relationship with the mum at the time of birth. Because the mum and dad aren't married he would also have to be present when the birth was registered to be on the register. It used to be that you had to be married but that has become impractical as many people chose not to get married before they have there first child. x

This is not correct - as I said, the father HAS inherent rights but only the Court can force the mother (in this case) to allow him to use them. Being the father on the because does NOT entitle the father to custody or visitation.

I am not aware that this was every any different in the UK or anywhere else. Marriage, the name on the birth certificate, does not entitle the non-custodial parent to anything.

You work in Social Services, I believe - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there legal visitation rights for nonbiological or legal parents [ 5 Answers ]

I am from South Dakota and I had met a man that had full legal custody of his infant son. The biological mother very rare saw the child and was not involved in his life. I started dating this man when the child was 8 months old and we were engaged by the time he was 11 months old. The child's...

Legal Rights? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way for a father to sign over his legal rights before the baby is born? (This is at his own request)

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Legal Rights to the Dad [ 2 Answers ]

Okay 2nd part to my first question. My boyfriend has a court order to see his son and the mom refused to turn the child over to him. We contacted the police and were told that as long as we have a court order we could have went back to pick the child up. She is being selfish and alienizing this...

Legal rights [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a court order to see his son on Sundays from 11am to 2pm unsupervised. He arrived at the child's mothers home to pick him up and she refused to hand him over to him? Where do we go from here?? Can we file a motion against her for violating a order?

View more questions Search