Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flymanansh Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 05:37 PM
    OPT to H-1B tax questions
    I am from P.R.China and was working in a university on F1(OPT) till June 30 th 2008. Then I continued to work in the same university and my status was converted to H-1B on July 1st 2008. My question is that I belong to Dual-Status alien for 2008? Another questions is that I only got a W-2 from the university. If I am a dual-status alien, I need to file form 1040 for the part of resident (H1B) and form 1040 NR or NREZ for the part of non-resident(F1)? I only have one w-2 form and I need to figure out how much money were earned in the period of F1 and how much in H-1B by myself to fill out those forms?

Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 02:14 AM

On H1-B your income is subject to SS tax and Medicare tax while on OPT is it exempt. So amount is Box 3 of W2 should be your H1-B income and balance is OPT income.
    flymanansh Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Thank you MukatA. For state tax return, do I need to file both forms for non-resident and part-year resident, right?

Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 01:38 AM

No. State rules are different. If you lived in a state even on F1, you are resident or part year resident. You will file only one Form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Too many questions! [ 12 Answers ]

YouTube - Woman Sat on Toilet for 2 Years How or why would he be okay with this for two years without seeking help? Why didn't the relatives worry that something wasn't right and request/demand answers? He has been taking care of her? How bringing food from the kitchen to the toilet? How...

H1-B tax questions [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, Here's my situation: I'm on H1B and my wife is on H4. I've 2 kids. We arrived in California on 20th July'07. I was here on H1B with my wife (H4) from May 2001- July 2003. We filed taxes as US residents for that 3 years. I'm a Singaporean. My questions: (1) I didn't...

Questions [ 2 Answers ]

Question: I am currently renting a house with a very vague lease (just basically says start date and how much a month). When I moved in I was under the impression that the owner was going to be moving all of his stuff out when I moved in. However 6 months later he still has items in all rooms in...

View more questions Search