Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fmtaskart Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Feb 18, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Who is this artist? NINO?
    I am asking on behalf of the widow of an old friend, now deceased, who once pointed at the painting and said to me that the artist was in the MOMA collection. That was in the late 70s or early 80s. I have tried repeated searches on the internet. The subject matter is evocative of Nino Caffe, i.e. student priests at play, but the signature and brushwork seem not. And the ninos are numerous.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:40 AM

Here's a link to two Ninos, but I'm really not so convinced they're connected. Although the paintings are quite different, it could be that you have a better chance with the second one (though unlikely; I can't read the signature from here on the link, but the inclusion of the C there doesn't rule it out).
    AskART - Art Prices, Art Appraisals, Art Value, Auction Prices

If I were you, I would contact the MOMA. They have excellent records.

Feb 25, 2009, 09:47 AM

Hello and thanks for your response..
    I had done some research that suggested Carmelo as possibly too young (born 1951).. I have information from my friend's widow that the painting existed (probably) in the late fifties or sixties. The closest resemblance to the signature that I could find were the "N" letters in a Giovanni Caffe signature. But the broad brushwork suggested di Salvatore to me... I wll follow your suggestion to contact the MOMA...
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 11:40 AM

Great. I'm very glad you reposted. I always appreciate updates. Promise to let me know what information turns up! I really like this work.
    KHONHO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 06:58 AM
    I have painting with the same signature, if you find out please post it so i know who it is. I would appreciated.

May 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
    I am the original poster of this thread and want to provide an update...

After searching many samples I found the name of Nino Caffe written fully. All the paintings I searched were signed - N. Caffe. The target is "NINO' A retrospective on Caffe in Italy showed his full signature on the title screen of the introductory video. The "N" and slant are a match. So this is pretty much the end of story...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is the artist? [ 2 Answers ]

Boom, boom, boom. Let's go back to my room and we can party all night And I can make you feel right Boom Boom boom, etc. Who is the artist to this disco song?? Help! Thanks!:) :eek:

Male Artist cannot find name of song or Artist [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a song title and Artist: It is a Male band, "I won't live to see another day I promise you because a girl like you is impossible to find Impossible to find". That is the line I can remember sure hope you can help

The Artist in You! - Indexed by Artist [ 102 Answers ]

At last I am posting the "surprise" that I had promised to a number of you almost three weeks ago! This is a tribute to "The Artist in you!" thread as started by firmbeliever, who is a member of this site. Although that thread started as being only about art in the visual sense on flat...

Engraving, Artist Proof, Artist Signiture Identification [ 13 Answers ]

15854 15855 I found this artist proof at a local thrift store. It's entitled "Lady Godiva". I think it's an engraving? It's numbered a/p II 2/8. It is a very interesting piece with "erotic hidden images" throughout. Someone told me it falls into the catigory of "ambiguous erotic art". Would...

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

View more questions Search