Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aquareii Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 10:17 AM
    New Haircolour over old
    Hello, I have coloured over my grey for the last 11 years using Clairol products. Two months ago I went to a hair salon to have it professionally coloured, since I was going to my son's wedding. It turned out great. My question is the salon uses Goldwell and told me not to use other products at home. I can't afford to go to a salon. What OTC (over the counter) brand of haircolour can I use now? In Canada we have all the regular brands. Please help.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 17, 2009, 11:12 AM

There's no substantial difference between brands. Some colors are opaque and others are more translucent (For example, L'Oreal Excellence is opaque, Preference is translucent).

Goldwell is a great product, but it's not that much better than L'Oreal, Clairol, Garnier or any other OTC product (chemically). Make sure you use a permanent hair color and not a semi-permanent, demi-permament, or temporary. High-lift products (Blondissima, for example) should probably be avoided. You probably want normal haircoloring with 20-volume peroxide. You can purchase color and developer separately at Sally Beauty and I'm pretty sure that store exists in some areas of Canada.

The instruction to use nothing but Goldwell isn't supported by science.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search