Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanny_2006 Posts: 61, Reputation: 0

Feb 14, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Does a person need to take an hiv test if the partner is negative & it was 1st time?
    :eek:i know this person that had unprotected sex for the first time and was scared of contracting hiv and the partner did a test and was negative. Does this mean the person should not worry or should the person take one also?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanny_2006 View Post
    :eek:i know this person that had unprotected sex for the first time and was scared of contracting hiv and the partner did a test and was negative. Does this mean the person should not worry or should the person take one also?
    It's a bit more complicated than a simple yes or no. There can be some lag time between infection and development of antibodies which the test pick ups, and that can be up to 3 months. So a negative test does not necessarily mean the person is negative. If the person testing negative had not had sex for 3 months prior to the test (assuming no other risk factors like IV drug use) then the negative test would be a true negative. I've heard there is a more modern test that cuts the lag time down or eliminates it but I'm not sure how often it is used (supposedly it's more expensive than the standard test).

Of course it also matters what you mean by "had sex". This can have reference to many things, some with virtually zero risk, some with low risk, some high, some in between.

So without more info it's impossible to answer the question.

Feb 14, 2009, 08:25 PM

The person waited 8 months before being tested
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanny_2006 View Post
    the person waited 8 months before being tested
    If that's with no risk factors in the interim, then the person is okay and the other one is okay too.

Feb 14, 2009, 08:44 PM

OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

Late period, 1 negative test 1 positive test [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 6 months. Previously I lost a baby at 7 months pregnant... looong story... anyway I conceived last time on Clomid. I began Clomid again last month. I am a day late, I took 1 test Sunday (2 days before missed period) it was a faint...

Negative blood test negative urine but still feel pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

Hi me again I've had my bloods taken not sure what of hcg tests I think which came backnormal,but still feel butterflys in my belly nauseas,and weight gain on my lower half could I still be pregnant or am I worrying myself in TO a early grave. Jeans are quite snug and my boobs have stopped...

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

View more questions Search