Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LRP-loves Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Being a Mother-in-Law
    My Son has been married 7 months. He is 20 and she is 18. We were living very far away when they met and did not meet her until after they were engaged so we are kind of getting to know her as she has become part of our family. We Love her and don't want there to be any problems between us so I am really searching for an answer as to what to do. She has come to me when her and my son have had disagreements, and she dosen't want me to tell him. She told me that she was afraid she was pregnant and didn't want to upset him then, a few months later told me she was upset because she could not get pregnant. She told my daughter and myself that this young man had raped her then later made this same young man her friend on "My Space". She asked my daughter not to tell my son. She gets so upset and jealous over anyone that he knows or knew. She panics easily and when they are here with us (they live 8 hours away) sometimes we walk on pins and needles. I don't want them to feel like we don't want them here because we do but, I don't believe this is healthy and I am not sure how to deal with it. Someone else told me that they could tell she was trying to drive a wedge between me and my daughter. Our son rarely answers his phone, sleeps so much, and acts like he doesn't really like being around. What is your advice on what to do!!
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Feb 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Sounds like this marriage won't be lasting that long... hopefully. Tell your son what she's been saying and how she's a hypocrite. You can't let some 18-year old get in between you and your son. They both might be legally adults, but you're the only adult in this situation. This girl seems to be really un-healthy. You could leave them alone and let it play out, or you could tell him what's been going on. The way I see it she really shouldn't be telling you things that she can't say to her husband!
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 10:24 AM

I think that she is stupid for telling her husbands mother to begin with. People do this to me and my husband all the time with the whole if I tell you don't tell them kind of thing, not knowing that we talk about everything. She sounds very immature and your son needs to know these things. If she can't tell him then its not real love. Me and my husband tell each other everything and if you are unable to do that in a relationship it will not work. Tell your son!
    posey_84 Posts: 202, Reputation: 15

Feb 17, 2009, 05:09 AM

I agree and disagree here. I think if you tell your son exactly what she has said it may drive a wedge between you and him because he is bound to take his young wife's side after all she does sound quite manipulative. I would speak to your son and tell him his wife has made you feel uncomfortable with something's she has been telling you and tell him exactly what your going to say to her. I would then talk to his wife and tell her your not happy with her coming to you with her problems with your son as you would rather stay impartial and not take sides. I would spk to your son first though because if you spk to her first she's going to go running to him telling him 'her version' of what you said. However like rocker chick said I don't think this marriage is going to last long because she sounds a little messed up to me but you want your son to feel he can come to you when it does all aprt so try not to make enemies by saying too much to him about his wife. Xxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money [ 2 Answers ]

My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it) About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed...

Children want to be with mother and mother agrees. [ 15 Answers ]

Hello,I live in Jacksonville,Florida and I have been here since 11/05.I used to live in NYC and at one point I was having a very hard time with my living situation so I gave my ex-husband custody of our 2 beautiful sons(hesitantly) but I knew they would be in a better environment at that time in...

My mother [ 2 Answers ]

Do my mother have a cancer?

View more questions Search