Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortstuff001 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 11:36 PM
    Chemistry- Formula Of A Compound
    What is the formula for copper (II) sulfide? And why? Same with lead (II) bromide? I don't understand this and I'm getting different answers everywhere I turn.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 13, 2009, 06:31 AM

Copper (II)) sulfide is CuS -- Copper monosulfide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lead (II) bromide is PbBr2 -- Safety (MSDS) data for lead bromide

If you look up copper sulfide, you'll probably find a lot of mixed sulfides (mixtures of copper (I) sulfide and copper (II) sulfide). So it will be written Cu x S y where the x and y are subscripts composed of small numerals.

Sulfide is S -2. Copper(II) is Cu +2. You only need one sulfide to satisify the charge (and valence) of the copper.

Lead (II) is Pb +2. Bromide is Br -1 so you need two bromides to satisify the charge (and valence) of the lead.
    shortstuff001 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 02:53 PM

Copper has one valence electron and sulfur has six valence electons right? So you would need 2 coppers to satify sulfur need for eight so why isn't copper (II) sulfide written Cu2S? If copper (II) sulfide is CuS than what would copper (I) sulfide be?
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 13, 2009, 03:01 PM

The rigid and simplistic rules of valence electrons don't tell the full story. Electrons can be promoted to different levels andt his changes the number of valence electrons that it can accept or donate.

In this case, I think "charge" is a better predictor of what will be. Think of it like this: Copper (I) is Cu +1. Copper (II) is Cu +2. Sulfide is S -2. How do you balance the charge? If it's copper (I), you need to positive charges to balance the two negative charges on the sulfur. If it's copper (II) (copper is oxidized further), you need only one copper (with two positive charges) to balance the two negative charges of the sulfide). (Actually, Copper (II) is more stable and more common than Copper (I)).

There are two copper sulfides, cuprous sulfide (copper (I) sulfide) and cupric sulfide (copper (II) sulfide). Copper (I) sulfide is Cu2S. Copper (II) sulfide is CuS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Man I don't know any compound that has this [ 3 Answers ]

I was stuck with this question and I can't solve it. I need some help to find the answer. A compound that consists of four different elements, one of which is a halogen.

What is the molecular formula of the compound? [ 1 Answers ]

A compound used in glue has a composition of 54.5% C, 9.1% H, and 36.4% O. At 100 degrees Celsius and 1.00 atm, the compound is a gas and 0.345 g occupies a volume of 120.0 ml. What is the molecular formula of the compound?

Compound Growth [ 1 Answers ]

Need assistance with calculating this in Excel: In 2004 a pound of apples cost .99 cents while oranges cost $1.14 (assuming in 2004). 10 years earlier the price was .72 cents/lb. and oranges were .55 cents/pound. What was the annual compound rate of growth in the price of both fruits? If...

View more questions Search