Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Feb 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Lost Voice and Can't Seem to Get it Back
    I lost my voice about 3 weeks ago and I have yet to fully get it back. I made a doctors appointment about a week ago because I had to sing on Sunday at my church and I was desperate, then it seemed like it was getting better so I cancelled the appt. well two days before I had to sing, I lost it again. After a rather embarrassing performance at church, my voice is still weak and scratchy and does not seem to be getting any better. I talk for a living. I'm a teacher, so by the end of the day my voice is gone. I've lost my voice before, but never like this and never this long.

Does anybody have any suggestions??
    Also is there any reason to go to the doctor?? I mean, I'm not going to waste my time at the dr's office just for him to tell me to drink tea with honey!
    retiredforgood Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2009, 08:25 PM

Try taking 2 grams or so of Vitamin C(Sodium Ascorbate) powder every day. A good source is ADVERTISING REMOVED. I have no financial interest in Wholesale Nutrition. The side effects of Vitamin C are chronic good health.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 08:34 PM
    Have you tried gargling with warm salt water? Resting your voice is the best medicine for laryngitis, damage to the vocal cords can be permanent. You may want to see your doctor to see if this is a bacterial infection, in which case antibiotics may be necessary.
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Feb 14, 2009, 07:20 AM

I have suffered the same problem several times. I was told gargling would not help as this cannot reach the voice box anyway. The only real solution is to rest your voice, don't sing or raise your voice. If this is not possible then to talk as quietly as possible but not to whisper as this strains the vocal chords as much as it would if you were to shout. I did this for 3 days and voice returned to normal. In the past I have tried inhaling steam, gargling and whispering, none of which helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost him and want him BACK [ 4 Answers ]

Well, I am 19 years old... me and my now ex boyfriend broke up about a month ago. We were together for almost 1 year and a half. We have been fighting a lot for the past months and finally it was too much for either of us to handle. His family and friends hated me, and my friends and family hated...

Lost voice after oral surgery? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband had 3 surgical extractions done on the 2nd of Aug. (of wisdom teeth). He was under IV sedation. He has had trouble healing in general from this (still nowhere near where he should be, healing wise), and has a rather strange problem since the surgery... he has pretty much lost his voice....

View more questions Search