Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Extreme makeover coming to next door neighbors house
    The house next door has been vacant and empty for a few months now. There is no plumbing, heating or anything in the house. I just found out yesterday that Extreme makeover home edition is going to demolish it and rebuild a whole new one. It is going to be on TV and everything. I was told that my street would be closed for at least 10 days and I was just wondering. Is there any way to get compensation for the trouble this will cause for us, such as debris on our property, not being able to park our cars in our own driveway, not being able to let our children play outside, keeping the windows closed, SLEEP DEPRIVATION, pets being affected, etc.? :confused:
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:23 PM

I would wait until someone actually does something wrong. You can't get compensation for something that hasn't even happened yet. You'll then need documentation and supporting evidence of your claim(s).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:27 PM

When you see someone from the production company on the premises I would go over to them and actually ASK them what's in this for ME? And see what they say about giving you some extra money. If you don't have your hand out now at the start of their project, you could miss out.

Or you could, of course, document every little thing that you are "out" due to this show and see them in Small Claims Court and try and collect.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:30 PM

As an afterthought, why is the show demolishing a vacant house? Is it still someone's home, but it's become unliveable? I've watched the show quite a few times and have never seen them tear down and rebuild an empty building.
    DSMom Posts: 55, Reputation: 17

Feb 12, 2009, 12:32 PM

While I am 100% positive this will cause inconvenience, what about the family they are helping and all the inconveniences that they have been through in order to have been accepted for a show like this.

Not only that, but instead of a vacant eyesore in your neighborhood (right next door) it will be replaced with a nice brand new house.

I am a firm believer in living life through helping others. What about coming together with the community to help?

If the city were to come in and demolish the house and rebuild you would most likeley not be compensated. If the city has to do work on streets you would not be compensated, etc. I am not sure that it would be different just because it is a TV show coming to and doing the work.

If worse comes to worse, you would probably have to approach it like this8384 said above. However, I think there is much joy to be found in the help that you give to other people.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:35 PM

I found this link on line and according to this neighbors are offered hotel accommodations.
    WikiAnswers - Where do the neighbors go on Extreme Makeover Home Edition
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:37 PM

I agree with you DSMom, but it seems that everyone has their hand out these days looking for some money. Apparently this OP has a bad case of "I want to get rich, rich, rich regardless". That's why I told her to approach the production company people before they start. More than likely they've run into people like her before and have a standard answer ready for her inquiry.

Feb 12, 2009, 12:41 PM

I was wondering the same thing actually about the whole vacant house thing and I have seen this show many times. I have never seen it either. And the house that's there now is actually a very nice house inside and out. Its just that it has some cosmetic and plumbing problems on the inside and these people are getting it completely redone on the show.

Feb 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
    And just to let everyone know I am not even asking for any money I just am a little worried about how this is all going to play out with my children and pets and vehicles. It is not about the money and I am happy for the people moving in. I am willing to help out if needed also. I just don't know how this will affect us.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Hello J:

I don't know what kind of production company runs this show. But, if they're like any of the shoots I've been on, the production company is a VERY good neighbor.

They pay if your house is filmed, or your car, or YOU. They keep everything spotless, and they feed you too.

I'll betcha they visit you before they start shooting, and I'll betcha they handle ALL your concerns. If not, and they're not good neighbors, let us know, and I'll tell you what to do about it.

excon
    DSMom Posts: 55, Reputation: 17

Feb 12, 2009, 12:50 PM

Well if the city came in and demolished and rebuilt, how would it affect you then? This would be the very same way, just the TV show is doing the work.

Our neighborhood is in the middle of switching from septic/well to sewagw/city water. While it is a huge pain on some days, its just what we have to deal with. My dog has barked and worried about the noise, my kids had to stay in and out of the way, the baby has been woken from naps because of the noise. Life goes on... its just one if the imperfections in life that we deal with and when its done everything is back to normal.

Feb 12, 2009, 12:55 PM

Thank you excon, finally someone is not making me out to look like the bad neighbor!

Feb 12, 2009, 12:57 PM

Also... it is around the clock work they are going to be working nonstop for 10 days which I am pretty sure is illegal
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Hello again, jj:

In my city, they can't begin work before 9, and have to stop before it gets dark... I'm sure they're going to obey all laws. It wouldn't behoove them to be lawbreakers, now would it?

Again, wait until you find out they're NOT being a good neighbor, and then let us know. At this point, it's all speculation.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:02 PM

Personally, I think you're working yourself up over something that really doesn't concern you. You're worried about your lawn, your property, your cars, your pets, your kids and how you're going to get money for it. What would you like us to view that as? If your concern was for anything other than monetary gain, you wouldn't have even bothered posting this question to begin with.

Feb 12, 2009, 01:07 PM

I don't understand how you could say that it doesn't concern me because this is my home this is what I worked my butt off to build for me and my family and it is going to be affecting [U]us[U] I don't even know the neighbors because the house is empty. And I really don't appreciate you making me out to look like a money hungry bad person. It only makes you look bad.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:08 PM

Hey I actually have experience with this. They redid a house in my cousins neighborhood a few years ago. They said the production company was great. They even fixed things on the neighbors house so it would look better for TV. My cousin was so upset when they were finished because like Ex said they feed them gave them money if they filmed their house or used their yard. I think you are going to have a great experience with this.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:10 PM

I look bad because you're looking to get comped for something that hasn't happened yet? Okay...

Feb 12, 2009, 01:11 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me spitvenom

Feb 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
    No you look bad for trying to make me look bad when all I am asking for is advice and insight as to what will happen during the time they are here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Extreme Makeover: Lightening Edition [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I've been poking around here for a while, and now I've decided to post to get a bit of a helping hand. I'm giving myself an extreme makeover and wanted to share it with you all. As you can tell from my spelling, I'm from the UK. My family are actually Spanish(I was born in England),...

Extreme Makeover Home Edition [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so we all know that extreme makeover home edition does sum wonderful things for unfortunate families. But I have a few question about the show. Read on, duh: Ok so a lot of those families are poor, and by the looks of those houses, I'm pretty sure that the mortgage and up-keeping is kind of...

When we have extreme rain our house floods. [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me advice, if you can. I am so desperate. :o If we have a normal rain we have no problems. However, if we have flood warnings or it rains more than 1" in 1 hour we have a problems. The PROBLEM is we have a concrete hole 12 inches by 12 inches under our bathtub in the basement...

Neighbors cat had kittens in my house - can I keep them? [ 2 Answers ]

There was a kitty about 12 months old that kept coming into our house. She was very sweet and we didn't really mind. We thought she belonged to our next door neighbor. The cat ended up pregnant and I went next door to find out if it was their cat. The neighbor advised me that it was a stray that...

Neighbors smoke coming into my apartment [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a small house divided into two units. A new neighbor has just moved in the other unit. He smokes cigarettes. The first night he stayed there the cigarette smoke was so bad I couldn't put my seven year old to bed until I turned a fan on and tried to get some fresh air in the bedroom. The...

View more questions Search