Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodyjayne Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Adoption rights
    When the child is adopted, does the birth mother have any rights towards the child? Or Does she?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2009, 06:38 AM

Depends on the terms of the adoption. There are now "open" adoptions where bio parents are allowed to be a part of the child's life.

But in an adoption, the adoptive parents become the legal parents. The bio parents only have what rights are granted in the adoption contract.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 06:42 AM

Actually, unless there IS a contract (and last I heard, only 2 states have those contracts), the biological parents have absolutely NO rights once they relinquish their parental rights for the adoption to happen.

I want to know why you are asking this question, though. Are you a birthmother? An adoptive parent?
    woodyjayne Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Not a birth mother. Gota do a presentation on this. Thanks for your answer. It has helped. Now I gota find the contracts that thr are only 2 of
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 08:31 AM

Minnesota and California, last I heard.

I have not verified that for a few years, though.
    rachelcuryy08 Posts: 47, Reputation: -3

Feb 13, 2009, 01:25 PM
    No she do not if she sign her right away. Did she sign her rights away. That's what I'm going threw she can come back any time if she didn't sign her rights away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption, not sure what my rights are [ 1 Answers ]

My son was adopted by my x husband aprox 2 years old , he is know 13 and he wanted to meet his biological dad and he did... however my parents think that he can not do so until he is 18,, this is something my son and his biological dad wanted . The adopted dad does not know yet but will...

Adoption rights [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a student and need to know if a man finds out his the father of a child that has been put up for adoption what are his rights

Adoption rights [ 1 Answers ]

I told my friend that she will have to get the boy's father permission before her boyfreind is able to adopte him but she would like to know does that include either though the boy's father as nothing to do with him at all and does not think the boy as his son

Adoption rights [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of my you as got a 6 year old boy but is biology father leaved this mother before she had him.Know his mother been in a relationship with another bloke for 5 years and as two little girls by him he wants to adopte the little boy and bring him up as is. She is confused on where they stand...

Adoption rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have a two month old son, but his father is getting married in a couple months, and I'm getting married in about 5 months. I was wondering about adoption, because my fiancé wants to adopt my son. If my ex is agreeable, will this terminate his rights and terminate him having to pay child support?

View more questions Search