Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    popdrop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Forming concrete stairs
    Hi,

I am searching for help on forming some concrete stairs. The stairs will be outside the home. There are existing stairs, but the path leading from bottom of the stairs to the driveway is way too much of an inclination so I am going to add some steps to it.

What I would like help with is securing the side of the stairs that runs alongside the house. The stairs will be poured using the side of the house as the formwork. What I would like to know, is how do I secure the riser to the side of the house?

Would I use a ramset gun to shoot a timber into the brickwork and then drop some sort of support down from there and attach the riser to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Diagrams would be great. The rest of the formwork doesn't bother me, I will be fine with it, I'm just concerned about this one issue.

Many thanks in advance.

D
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 01:55 PM

Yes I can just poured some today on the job.
    If it brick you can use a tap con screws ( no ram set)and a 2by4 scab for a nailer for the wood riser. Make the scab about 6" long so the scab won't be in the way when you trowel the lower tread and upper tread.

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anc...FQKHxwodXTNQlQ

Just pencil out your risers and treads. On the side brick wall. Then on the penciled risers put the flat 6" scab 3 inches behind the riser line (to wards you) Now you can set each riser and adjust and drywall screw through the back face of the riser to the scab. Don't forget your 1/4+ slope for each tread as you lay it out for water runoff. Also 45 degree cut on riser form so you can get your trowel under the poured tread.

I don't know what your slope is and if its slight and long a landing may be needed between the run of steps

Do you know how to lay it out in calculation of riser and treads? If you do that's great

Side note: 1 yd concrete is 46,565 cubic inches to help you figure out the concrete amount,

http://images.google.com/images?sour...num=1&ct=title

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    popdrop Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks mate.
    luckycharm1978 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 11:12 AM

Another good thing to use is a 3/16 inch hammer drill bit. Use that with double sided nails and a piece of wire leaves less of a mess and holds really good too

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forming concrete steps.form prep [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all - I am in the midst of a home improvement project, and one of my tasks is to build stars (2 treads) from my garage into my mud room. I want to make the stairs out of cement. I will be making the form from plywood and 2x4s, and then pouring the cement into the form. Once the concrete...

Concrete stairs [ 2 Answers ]

The stairs on the outside of my home are made of concrete the previous owners had glued carpet to them it looks like more than once because of amountof glue on the concrete how can I get the glue off or can I just put something over it to make it look good and not carpet .

New concrete patio does not drain - huge puddles are forming [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new concrete patio poured in my back yard. I looks great, but every time I water the lawn any water that gets on the patio forms a large puddle in the middle - almost like a small pond, although I did not want a water feature! I have huge concerns about this, the puddle is about...

Concrete Stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in pouring concrete 'pyramid-like' stairs. I would prefer to do this one stair at a time. How long should I wait for the first stair to cure before I pour another? Thank You

View more questions Search