Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackjackdavie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 03:00 PM
    What can be done with a chimney that is settling?
    The chimney at my house is pulling away. It was built of standard cement blocks, I believe they are sixteen inches square, with tile liner. The blocks are faced with fieldstone. It is, of course, attached to the side of the house. The house is of frame construction. I am pretty sure the footer is settling. It has moved away from the house about three quarters of an inch. The chimney was built about ten years ago and until now, there has not been a problem. I really, really need ideas as to how I can correct this problem. Thanks. David
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 05:35 PM

Considering the weight of this chimney it usually is above a normal DIY job. I'd get 3 bids from masons and then decide if its within my skill bank. I personally would not tackle this job, it's beyond mud jacking.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 02:53 PM

Hi Black jack. I build these for a living.
    The basic problem is the footer is to small. The best to put the footer is dig down to bottom of the house footer and steal pin the new footer there. A chimney such as yours is called a free standing chimney. When the chimney footer is too small it pulls away like yours. When masons lay block on a footer they are used to putting a 10 inch block on a 24 inch footer so when it comes to add a chimney footer they have a problem with making it wider not to mention digging a heck of a lot of more dirt out.

The footer for a block chimney such as yours should be 8' thick pined into basement footer or the basement block wall if you just go down below freeze. The footer needs to be min 3 feet wide and away from the house 4 feet to keep the front from tilting away from the house. Big footer hence free standing chimney on a free standing footer.

You could put straps on but that doesn't fix the problem. Some people pull the chimney back and re tighten the straps overtime but then straps rust. Or just looks bad.

The other effect on a chimney along the side of a house is a downspout dumps out above it if there is a slope to wards that side on the house and keeps the ground wet and soft and can effect the footer.

Get it taken down and bigger footer.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foundation Settling [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: We recently looked at a house that had some foundation settling problems. Noted in the garage, there are 1" cracks that went through the concrete block outside. The sunlight came in through these cracks. Also, on the ground there were weeds growing inside the garage. Around the...

Settling house [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual solution for fixing a settling home? What happens if you do not fix it? Affording this will be a hardship. We have cracks in the drywall everywhere, shifting concrete blocks, water on the basement walls and cracking on basement walls.

Always settling for worst [ 6 Answers ]

I am an attractive, successful, educated and fun loving woman with a great personality. Yet I find that I am always settling for second best. Throughout my life (I am 29) I have been in relationships where they break up because the guy does something wrong (Cheating, verbal abuse, lies). I end up...

House still settling [ 3 Answers ]

I've lived in my house for 3.5 years. It is a 1/1 condo type townhouse (bought new). There are 7 units in my row of houses. At the first year anniversary, the builder had a contractor come in and fix all settling cracks and joints. At year 2 I fixed all settling cracks and joints. It is now...

Settling under driveway [ 2 Answers ]

I have an area at the edge of our concrete driveway that has settled So that we can see a 2 inch gap about 5 feet diameter below our Driveway. The concrete is reinforced with steel, but I am concerned About driving over this side of the driveway. Is there a good way to Fill in this area...

View more questions Search