Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2009, 11:46 AM
    charging john deere battery
    I live in northeast and made error and I did not remove battery from tractor (x3oo john deere) when I stopped using it in Nov.. it is kept in shed... went out 2 weeks ago to just start it... it obviosly did not start , I believe it is a battery issure (battery is only 1 year old... I have subsequently removed battery (too late)

Not sure what is best to do

1) wait till I'm ready to use tractor and put battery back in and just jump start it
    2) or buy trickle charger and charge it (I would rather not buy one
    3) or this leads to my question-----Can I use one of those jump start/alternative power source machines (diehard 1150 that powers small appliances and jump starts batteries) to charge the battery in the tractor??
    thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 05:48 PM

The right way is the one you don't want to do, buy a small charger. From time to time everyone needs a charger so paying $35 really isn't such a bad idea, it's the best for your situation. Sure you can jump it just like a car but it will take a long time running to recharge the battery. The Diehard 1150 is just like jumping to another vehicle, there is a small 12v battery inside it. However, that unit cost about 3x the price of a small trickle charger so where is the savings? I own both and have used both several times this year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere 185 Hydro Charging/Battery light stays on [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a used JD 185 Hydro Lawn Tractor and it runs perfect... but the dash battery light stays on all the time. I wonder if it is supposed to stay on... or is the battery not being charged when light is on? Also... I've discovered a cure for the center-mounted "free-wheel" knob... getting it...

John deere 160 lawnmower not charging [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older John Deere 160 lawn tractor (20 years) that runs great but does not charge the battery. I already have replaced the battery, starter and ignition box. If I boost it I can cut the grass and when done if I turn it off it will not start without a boost. At the end of cutting the...

John deere riding mower battery charging [ 3 Answers ]

I have had this john deere 16 hp 42 inch riding mower for 8 years. The battery charging circuit has never worked. Although it runs for some time on an external charge, I would like to get it right. I pulled the stator yesterday and cleaned everything with a dremel and wire brush, to make sure that...

John Deere 111 charging issue [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, a little info first. I bought an old JD 111 with a bad motor. I then bought an old Cenex rider with a new motor for the engine. The 111 was originally an 11 hp Briggs and the Cenex had a 12 hp Briggs. The swap was far more involved than first believed, but it is done. My question is this....

John Deere 320 quit charging [ 3 Answers ]

I was mowing with my John Deere and it just shot off. I tried to retart after disengaging blades and it would barely crank. I charged the battery restarted the mower then pulled the positive battery cable and the mower died. It has the 21hp liquid cooled kawasaki engine. I have no idea as to...

View more questions Search