Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SorrentoBob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Tiling over formica counter top
    Our bathroom counter top is in perfect shape, but is outdated and ugly. Any hints about tiling over it? It has no curved edges, is firmly achhored to it's substratum, and I, of cvourse, smooth.
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Feb 7, 2009, 09:02 AM

How are your sinks installed?
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Feb 10, 2009, 09:48 AM
    You could sand it and then apply your tile with modified thinset. Edging could be done with bullnose, or wood, or metal tile edging if the tile has no bullnose available. Here's an example of Schluter Rondec CT metal edging in brushed satin nickel

pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Mar 2, 2009, 05:42 PM

I have tiled over formica. First sand it with coarse sandpaper and then prime with an oil-based primer. When that dries you are ready to tile. I would use ceramic tile since its easier to cut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling over Formica Backsplash [ 5 Answers ]

I have a backsplash that is made of a sheet of formica. I want to tile my backsplash, but can't remove the formica and don't want to add a 1/4 inch thick layer of hardibacker. Can I rough up the formica with 60 grit sandpaper (or rougher) and then apply mastic and tile? Will it hold?

Repairing formica counter tops [ 1 Answers ]

My formica counter top got water beneath one of the seams and has turned loose. Is there any way this can be repaired? If not, does Lowe's still carry the Blue Moran (I think that is the color it is, if not Blue it may be Gray Moran) in sheets of formica? It was purchased about 9 or 10 years...

Tiling formica backsplash [ 3 Answers ]

What modifications do I need to make to install ceramic tile on a formica backsplash? Can I simply "rough-up" the formica with coarse sandpaper? OR Is installing cement board onto the formica the best approach? OR Is there another method better or the only way? Thanks

Tiling Backsplash that now has formica [ 3 Answers ]

Must the formica that now covers my backsplash in my kitchen be removed before installing a new tile backsplash? CAn the tile be adhered directly to the formica? If so what needs to be done to it and what is the best adhesive to use?

Mosaic on formica? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do a mosaic on my bath room counter which is formica. Will the mud base used for tile stick to formica? Is there an alternative or is it a lost cause?:confused:

View more questions Search