Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arminnami Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Overdose on atenolol
    Hello Dears,
    I want to know what will happen to a person after a overdose on ATENOLOL (100 tablets of atenolol 100 mg) ? Is death trenchant and 100% certain ?:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 01:48 PM

I would get to emerg immediately as an overdose of this drug is quite serious, read as follows. The important key symptoms are LOW BLOOD PRESSURE AND CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE;

Atenolol Overdose: An Overview
    Atenolol (Tenormin®) is a prescription medication that is used for lowering blood pressure (hypertension), relieving angina symptoms, and improving the chances of survival after a heart attack. As with other medicines, it is possible to take too much atenolol. The effects of an atenolol overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much atenolol is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.

Symptoms of an Overdose
    When someone overdoses on atenolol, the symptoms can vary. Some examples of overdose symptoms include but are not limited to:

* Tiredness
    * A decrease in breathing
    * Wheezing
    * Extremely low blood pressure
    * A severe decrease in heart rate (bradycardia)
    * Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    * Abnormal heart rhythms
    * Congestive heart failure
    * Loss of life.

And I see you are no longer logged in, so it can't be too serious.

Feb 6, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I would get to emerg immediately as an overdose of this drug is quite serious, read as follows. The important key symptoms are LOW BLOOD PRESSURE AND CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE;

Atenolol Overdose: An Overview
    Atenolol (Tenormin®) is a prescription medication that is used for lowering blood pressure (hypertension), relieving angina symptoms, and improving the chances of survival after a heart attack. As with other medicines, it is possible to take too much atenolol. The effects of an atenolol overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much atenolol is taken and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.

Symptoms of an Overdose
    When someone overdoses on atenolol, the symptoms can vary. Some examples of overdose symptoms include but are not limited to:

* Tiredness
    * A decrease in breathing
    * Wheezing
    * Extremely low blood pressure
    * A severe decrease in heart rate (bradycardia)
    * Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    * Abnormal heart rhythms
    * Congestive heart failure
    * Loss of life.

And I see you are no longer logged in, so it can't be too serious.
    Thank you Dear tickle,
    The number of tablets is at least 100(100 tablets) & the dosage of them is 100 mg.With this information ,can we say that death is 100% certain?

Feb 6, 2009, 02:09 PM

Thank you Dear tickle,
    The number of tablets is at least 100(100 tablets) & the dosage of them is 100 mg.With this information ,can we say that death is 100% certain?
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 03:18 AM

I don't know if it is l00 per cent certain.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arminnami View Post
    Thank you Dear tickle,
    Why do you want to know? You aren't planning on doing this are you?
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 04:40 PM

I would have asked this too. But deliberation for this long is not a sign of suicide. Ithink it is a general information, curious sort of question.It is an obscure medication to commit suicide with. It is a beta blocker; my son takes it because he has a defibralator installed to compensate for an enlarged heart muscle.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I would have asked this too. But deliberation for this long is not a sign of suicide. Ithink it is a general information, curious sort of question.It is an obscure medication to commit suicide with. It is a beta blocker; my son takes it because he has a defibralator installed to compensate for an enlarged heart muscle.
    However, it almost killed me and I only took one a day :eek:

Think about it, most people would ask about 2 or 3 pills, but 100? This shows obvious intent.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    However, it almost killed me and I only took one a day :eek:

Think about it, most people would ask about 2 or 3 pills, but 100? This shows obvious intent.

I've got to go with you here. In view of the Board's policy about not providing drug ID information, not assisting "children" in locating lost/missing/inattentive parents, I think it's a bad policy with this type of question to provide any type of information. It's available on line, of course, but I do not want to be the person assisting someone.

The quantity concerns me. This is not "I took 3 when I should have taken 2." Were this question called into a Pharmacy it would MOST DEFINITELY NOT be answered.

I think this thread should not only be shut down, it should be closed.

Maybe I'm right. Maybe I'm wrong. But there has to be some responsibility to be on the safe side. From a legal standpoint I look at these questions as, "Do I want to be the person who provided the information, something desperate and terrible happens, what is my responsibility/liability."

From the standpoint of Board policy which we all respect, if "we" cannot give out drug ID because maybe someone will take "our" word for it and take the medication, then I see this to be in that same category.

Please - close it.

And to the OP - only you can clear this up. If your life is in pieces and you would like to talk, someone is always available here, you're anonymous, we don't judge and everybody has some point of reference/experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you overdose on adco-atenolol and die? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm tired of failing! All I have is adco-atenolol will it kill me if I overdose?? :(

Escitalopram overdose [ 1 Answers ]

I took prescribed zolpidem (20 mg) and escitalopram (20 mg) before going to bed. I woke up an hour later feeling sick. I checked the meds' bottles and found 9 pills (180 mg) of escitalopram missing. I may have taken them under the hypnotic effect of zolpedim, or just thrown them away. I don't...

View more questions Search