Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Another Condensation drain question.
    This may seem like an odd question but I have noticed that the water coming out of the condensation line that leads from our indoor lennox air handler has rust in it. Is this normal? I know it comes from the water dripping off the evaperator coils, but should they or something else in there be rusting?
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Aug 10, 2006, 08:00 PM
    I'm not an AC tech but I had similar problems. How old is the unit? Some newer units have plastic drain pans while others have galvanized steel. After years of use, the galvanized pans will begin to rust and color the water. Eventually a hole may appear and the unit will leak - likely leading to replacement of the coil. Some guy offered to gerry-rig a secondary pan underneath my old coil, but I opted for a coil replace instead. You may want to flush the drain and pan routinely - any degree of blockage will hold condensation back and accelerate the rusting.
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Its actually only 3 years old and it looks like the pan is plastic. I may just be overreacting but I thought I would ask your opinion before I called a tech.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Even though your drip pan may be plastic the frames holding the copper tubing coils are metal and this will rust and will stain the water. If your pans are plastic you don't have much likely hood that it will leak but you still have the possibilith that the rust will accumulate and create a blockage for the drain lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic drain add-on question. [ 3 Answers ]

Want to add drain line to a septic tank at the point outside the house where a vertical above ground cleanout and a below ground 'Y' or sanitary tee connects to the main house drain and is then outputted to the septic tank. Material is ABS and was wondering what the best way is to add the...

Shower replacement question - drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile shower with a fiberglass shower. The house is on a concrete slab. I have torn out the tile shower and pan. I cut the original drain below the concrete slab. My questions: If I install a drain before I set the shower, how do I determine the height of the drain pipe. ...

Basement Floor Drain Question [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of moving my current floor drain to the other side of a framed wall I just built to keep it in the same room as my hot water heater (per code) The current one will be sealed off. I can tap into the same line as it will be closer to the gray water crock. My question is, When I do...

Pedastal sink drain question [ 16 Answers ]

The existing basement roughins for the toilet and sink were made VERY close together. From what I have seen in the rest of my home and other homes the drain pipe for the sink usually goes into the wall after the P trap off the sink drain. In order to maintain enogh space between the toilet and...

Washer drain question [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a washer and a wash tub. Right now the washer drains into the tub and then I control the flow to the floor drain in the basement. If I don't then it floods the basement. I tried to snake out the p-trap, but couldn't get through it, but I got through the kitchen drain instead. It works...

View more questions Search