Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Whining Furnace Boiler
    I have a boiler type of furnace in my home. When it gets colder the boiler makes a "whining" noise when the gas/pilot comes on to heat up the tank. The noise stops as soon as the gas shuts off. Is this a gas regulator that is going bad? If so, could it go bad quickly altogether and effectively shut down the boiler? What do they cost and how hard are they to replace?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 04:52 AM
    There are many different arrangements of gas controls and regulators when it comes to boilers. If possible, post a pic of yours to help with identifying what you have there.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Type of gas? Propane or natural?

Brand and Exact model number of boiler.

Feb 5, 2009, 10:21 AM
    It is natural gas. Model is a AOSmith Hydronic Boiler Model # HW12OP720.

Feb 5, 2009, 10:38 AM

Feb 5, 2009, 10:54 AM
    I show no AO Smith boiler with that model number but here is what you can do to isloate the problem. Use a non conductive device and place it on the suspected component on your boiler i.e. the pressure regulator/gas valve. Then place your ear to the device and have someone turn the boiler on. This way you can hear and isloate the problem and make the repairs if necessary.

Feb 5, 2009, 09:29 PM
    That model number is right off the boiler itself. It is about 15-20 years old if that helps

Feb 5, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Here is there web site search for yourself. Did you try to isloate the problem like suggested?

A.O. Smith

Feb 6, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Sometimes you try and help people but they are just to ignorant to find there correct model number. What a waste of time on my part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Low PSI and temp on oil burning furnace w/boiler [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a two story very old house. The furnace is an oil burning and uses water to heat. This winter I can get the upstairs to stay near 70 but the downstairs barely gets above 50. I have been told there are two zones but that doesn't help me figure out why one zone heats and one doesn't. I...

Boiler or furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The house I'm living now has a boiler for heat and condensador for cooling, so I have both systems, I want to get rid of radiator because the use too much space nad also they are chipng, but my problem is because my house was not built with duct we run the duc work for the second floolr trhough...

Gas boiler furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Burnham gas boiler Series 2A system. I have no idea on how this works, so any light shed on the subject would be great. I guess my real question is about the radiators, vents, ducts, baseboards or whatever you call them with this type of system. Half of my house has SOLID metal baseboard...

View more questions Search