Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Feb 4, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Kobalt miter saw
    I'm interested in buying a sliding miter saw and I saw this one at Lowe's... 12 inch sliding laser... it seems like a very cheap price.. I have to assume it is not as good as others.

However I probably would only use it occasionally... does anyone know if it is a decent saw for occasional use?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 10:52 PM

I never use a Kobalt miter saw. If you are up for another suggestion hear is a saw that I know the manufacture and it will hold up. I'm in the trades and I buy some of top of the line tools and some medium tools and some semi throw away tools.
    For your usage here is a site for tools and maybe there is a store near you Harbor Freight. They are good on returns to. Two months ago I returned a roof rake that broke and I just walked in no receipt and walked out with another one and there was no paper work.

The miter saw I posted is a slider laser miter saw and its $189.00

It's a Chicago brand which for the past many many years I have used and was happy with what the prices are. I have spent well over $15,000.00 in tools there over time. I also had them ship to Puerto Rico when I needed to replace a tool when We worked there. Not all the tools there are good but most power tools and Jack hammers are good for the price. So check it out and hope there's a store there near you. They are worth visiting the store. They have ten times more tools there at my store than our Super big Lowe's per Sq Ft I'm in all the trades as a business and tools are the bread and butter and the trick is what is the usage time going to be and many times I spend a couple of hundred dollars for a throw away to or as a back up tool.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 10:47 AM

No but I almost did this past Monday. It was on sale I probably have $5,000.00 min on the Chicago tool brand, and they are still going strong. Here's a list of just big tools I bought there in the past 2 years
    4x8 Trailer
    There biggest Electric concrete jack hammer
    Auto Dark welders helmet
    banding tools
    Air roofing nailer's
    Air hoses
    Couple of Batt drills
    Concrete vibrator with 12 long 1 1/4 shaft vib shaft
    10 ton 20' chain
    AC 1200 lb hoist with remote switch
    Full Kit hydraulic pump to jack over building walls.
    Transmission jack that goes on the reg hydraulic floor wheeled jacks.
    Ect Ect
    On average I spend $1,500.00 on tools there a year
    I'm a contractor for 30 years and also have heavy equipment and 2,400 sq shop just for repairs on the heavy equipment and do ALL the repairs with me and My guys.
    Tools are my constant expenses. I ruffly spent over $100,000.00 of HAND tools while in business the past 30 years I do Major renovations and I don't sub out so that explains the tool line for ALL trades. So trust me Chicago has been a good tool for the money and they make A LOT of tools for all trades. I do buy tools at the big box too. Watch for specials on tools at harbor freight and they constantly have GOOD sales there every week. Get on the mailing list and they send it out twice a month here. Hears how the last big savings. E;electric jack reg $599.00 that's been on sale every week for $459.00 I got the sale price and on top of that had a 10 percent coupon they LET me use on the sale price. How often does a store let you do that? They also have great house tools there also. Get on the mail list and go check it out. Any other tool question just post.

I will let you in on a little secret. I go to My big tool rental company's and ask them which tool they rent out for which trade. They try to buy a tool that's cost effective for them to rent and holds up the longest. It's a god trick I learned. Like the best concrete demo hammers is Bosch. Best sawzall is Milwaukee etc
    I don't know if you have a chain saw but check out harbor Freight chain saw sharpener for $ 30.00 on sale I have been using there's for years. I cut a lot of tress to clear land and feed the Asplund gas 6cyl wood chippers. For 30 bucks to sharpen the chainsaw blades can't be beat. They come out almost 100% factory sharp. Look at what it cost to get 5 blades sharpened and the gas and time to go back and forth $30.00 is cheap and quick.

I had a bet with a John Deere lover of Equipmwnt and "I Now have John Deere hoes and crawlers" I took him to a John Deere dealer. While I was there I made the coment to the salesmen That FORD backhoes were stronger pound for pound in hydrloics than Deere. He says No Way. I took him back to his Own shop and said look at all of your repair shop and what they use to lift booms and things. All FORD rubber tire loaders with welded rigs for lifting the heavy parts hear at a factory John Deere heavy Equipment Dealer

BINGO just like the rental company research.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93213

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compound Miter Saw to cut baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing 5 1/4 inch baseboards. I have only mitered using boards standing and my saw will not cut this tall. I have access to a 10 inch compound miter saw that says will cut 6 inch baseboards laying flat. Does this work and is it any more difficult? Thanks

Sharpening a miter saw blade [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sharpen a 10" miter saw blade? Is it easy to do? Or is it easy to mess up :) Kind of on a tight budget so would like to avoid buying a new one if I can. Thanks!

Miter chair railing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you miter chair railing

Cut off saw----Miter saw [ 2 Answers ]

Can you put a metal wheel on a miter saw to cut metal without destroying your compound miter saw. I understand that the sparks will cause problems to the plastic guards. But is there any other problems associated with doing this. I have a 12 in Craftsman. I want to cut metal. But I hate to buy a...

View more questions Search