Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanillaface Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Moving back & ex won't let me take kids
    I moved from Washington to Texas in September, but have found that I do not like it and want to move back. However, my (soon to be) ex does not want to return, and will not let me take the children with me. They want to keep them solely to get child support. What are my rights and how can I be able to return with at least one of my children? Are there any free legal aid or access centers that can help me file and tell me what I need to do?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 07:12 PM

You could move back to your home state and file there if nothing has been filed yet and ask the courts for custody. Your under 6 months in Texas.

Texas Divorce Laws

Washington still could hold jurisdiction.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 01:41 PM

If you return to Washington before 6 months has passed since your move to Texas then you could litigate the custody issues (and support issue as well) in a Washington court. If you stay in Texas you'll have to litigate there. You've got a unique opportunity to lock in jurisdiction in Washington so don't neglect that as a major issue (time is running out on this as an option, however).

Don't expect to be able to split the kids up in a custody battle and the ultimate outcome is too variable to give a reliable answer based upon the information you provided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving with kids after divorce [ 45 Answers ]

I have 3 small kids ,9 , 7 , and 6. I was married to an abusive alcoholic nightmare for 9 years. We finally got out last year and I filed for divorce ( still being harassed by the ex today) I have full custody, and I dropped the request for supervised visits and gave him every other weekend...

A set back in moving on, need some support [ 16 Answers ]

Hey guys, To quickly sum my most recent relationship, I was with her 3 years and we broke it of early June. In all fairness it was good relationship, but with its bagage, a lot of ups and downs. This was for me and her our first serious relationship (we had other things in the past but nothing...

Can I get kidnapping charges for moving my kids out of state [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my husband met and the army and were married in the army we moved to Missouri near his family when we got out well my family is in louisian I have told him over the 3 years of being here I was unhappy here I don't like being so far from my family he has told me he would move to Louisiana...

Moving From NYC back to MA [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to NYC from Massachusetts about 5 years when I went to grad school for acting. I have since graduated and have been living in NYC for 2 years. I don't have a job and have just been temping to pay the bills (which hasn't been working at all). I recently decided to get a full time job as a...

Trying to get my kids back [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Leah Albright and my niece and nephew are in custody with an Aunt and she is refusing to let the parents talk or see the kids. They haven't seen them since December 9th. They have had jobs and are getting an apartment soon and are getting married in a month. They are trying to figure...

View more questions Search