Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tasha99 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Not sleeping in the same bed
    Is it normal for two people in a relationship who live together to not always sleep in the same bed? My boyfriend sleeps in the living room sometimes( we have no furniture) on the floor instead of coming to bed with me. This happens on and off , maybe 2 days out of the week on average; sometimes more. It really offends me and I argue with him every time he does it. He always has a different excuse ranging from being tired, to it being too hot, etc. I don't really believe him, but I don't understand why either..?

We don't have any children together by the way..
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 08:23 AM

My boyfriend will do the same thing occasionally. It is a huge pet peeve of mine, but that it is not an indication of your relationship with him. Some men have bad habits, one being falling asleep in front of the TV at night. I wouldn't be so offended by it.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 08:50 AM

Those all sound like legit reasons to me. I remember roasting in bed, when me and my ex would sleep in the same bed. I also remember when she would kick me, elbow me, take all the blanket when it's 20 degrees outside, and hog the whole bed up. I chose to sleep downstairs or on the couch a few times, because I just wanted to get a real good nights sleep.

A friend of mine, who has been married for 6 years now, chooses to sleep on the couch at his house because his wife snores like a bear as a result of her being 8 1/2 months pregnant.

I know that sometimes I don't even sleep in my own bed, because I fall asleep in front of the TV.

It's just one of those quirks you have to learn to deal with when you live with someone. It niether reflects the relationship nor does it mean he doesn't love you.

Sometimes a man just needs some sleep!
    CakeLady Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2009, 09:11 AM

It can put a strain on things to sleep separately, but my husband snores like a bawling bull, so he sleeps in another room. I was getting ZERO sleep and we just came to the agreement.

We both sleep better now, and still manage to get together for the important stuff!
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 3, 2009, 09:21 AM

I know a few couples married for many years who have separate bedrooms for various reasons. All of the reasons seem to point to one thing, both people being able to get a good nights sleep. Some people just can't sleep well with another person in bed with them. That doesn't mean you can't snuggle up on "date night" ;-)

Have you tried letting him have the bed and you sleeping on the couch occasionally?

It's not worth arguing and ending up with a bunch of hurt feelings over. Besides, when you're not getting a good nights sleep you're more prone to snapping at people you love for no apparent reason.
    Ber
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 09:48 AM

Some people can simply not get a good nights sleep when the other is in the bed. I wouldn't read too much into it
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 09:52 AM

I agree with all the above. I've been married for 13 years and once in a while hubby will sleep on the couch because he's too hot, or I'm kicking him in my sleep. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Some people never get use to having another person in the bed when they sleep, it's not an indication that he loves you any less.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 10:02 AM

I get really hot in bed and sometimes I will go out to the sofa to cool down a little and I end up falling asleep. It use to make my wife very angry so one night when I sweating my @$$ off I decided to stay in bed and opened all the windows in the bed room during the middle of winter she got the point and she doesn't get mad anymore.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I agree with all the above. I've been married for 13 years and once in a while hubby will sleep on the couch because he's too hot, or I'm kicking him in my sleep. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Some people never get use to having another person in the bed when they sleep, it's not an indication that he loves you any less.
    So you're a kicker! My fiancé is an elbow kind of gal. I have woken up quite a few times to an elbow to the head. I'm starting to think it's on purpose! Ha ha!
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    So you're a kicker! My fiance is an elbow kind of gal. I have woken up quite a few times to an elbow to the head. I'm starting to think it's on purpose! Ha ha!
    I'm a kicker and sometimes a hitter! We went on vacation one time and stayed in a hotel. Hubby asked that they give us a wakeup call for 6am, he slept on the side of the bed where the phone was, at home the phone is on my side of the bed.

Anyway, at 6am, when the phone rang, it shocked me out of my sleep, I lunged to grab it and ended up hitting hubby in the face, I gave him a black eye!

The next hotel he asked for twin beds. :(
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 10:21 AM

Ouch, wake up calls are the worst especially if you're not expecting it.

Hopefully you and the hubby are back to same beds
    Pets Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Ouch, wake up calls are the worst especially if you're not expecting it.

Hopefully you and the hubby are back to same beds
    Well, in all fairness, he wasn't my hubby then, that was almost 20 years ago. Gulp. :eek:

For the majority of the time we do sleep in the same bed, but I can totally understand why sometimes it's nice to sleep alone. Hubby snores, I kick, and we both like different temperatures in the room when we sleep. There are times when you just really need a full 8 hours sleep! ;)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 10:36 AM

I have lived with my BF for 11 yrs. And we rarely sleep together.We adore each other and all else is good but I can't sleep next to anyone.
    If everything else is working I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.
    Sometimes its just a personal quirk.
    Maybe you could convince him to just be with you for a little while in the bed before you fall asleep and then you could go to your own comfy spots.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 07:27 AM

This is not a big deal as couple make their own sleeping arrangement as they go. Any one seen my wife? Oh there she is in the den.

Laugh this off like everyone else does.
    juri2525 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 07:38 AM

I have the same situation-sometimes it's just a matter of one partner "needing" perhaps a deeper sleep. Having someone next to you, especially if they toss and turn a lot, decreases sleep intensity and some people just can't deal. So yeah, I guess it's normal, I don't like it either.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 07:52 AM

Ya I agree with everyone else, sometimes it's needed to sleep on the couch or whatever.

As long as everything else is OK I wouldn't worry about it.
    ardahk Posts: 74, Reputation: 12

Feb 9, 2009, 08:14 AM

I find it more difficult to sleep with someone next to me and it almost always gets amazingly hot. I wouldn't read too much into it
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Have you considered buying a bigger bed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping problems, not sleeping, insomnia [ 9 Answers ]

Hi this is the first time Ive ever been on this site seems to be very helpful. My boyfriend has been taking prescription ambien for about 7 months and his new doctor took him off that and gave him other sleeping medications but he does not sleep at all now. Maybe one or two hours a night and...

Sleeping in his own bed [ 4 Answers ]

Please help me. My son will not sleep in his own bed and he is now three. Please help me to get him to sleep in his own bed.

Not sleeping [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5month old son, he sleeps great but I don't, it takes me 2-3 hours to fall asleep and last night I was sleep walking, I woke up in the kitchen preparing a bottle kind of, I had the powder all over the floor and counters... I wake up about 3-4 times a night, any ideas on how to sleep...

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

View more questions Search