Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cincolrn39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 09:57 AM
    SSDI lump sum pmt paid to insurance company
    HI,
    I received a lump sum social security payment for back pay for years 2004 through 2007. I had to pay the lump sum to my insurance company since they paid me for those years already.
    My question is when I fill out taxes, I can claim a credit for the tax in those years since the repayment was more than 3000. When figuring the new tax for the past years it asks for AGI, do I put in what was originally filed or figure the AGI taking off the income that I already paid back?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 10:32 AM

I can't answer the tax question but am curious about you having to pay back the insurance company - if you are comfortable giving out the info, could you just post a little more info?

Thanks -
    cincolrn39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 12:00 PM

When I got disabled my long term disability insurance paid my wages until I got approved for social security, so when I got the lump sum back I had to pay back the portion of the lump sum that the insurance company had already paid me for the past years.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cincolrn39 View Post
    When I got disabled my long term disability insurance paid my wages until I got approved for social security, so when I got the lump sum back I had to pay back the portion of the lump sum that the insurance company had already paid me for the past years.

I'm impressed - maybe that's a common practice but I've never seen it before. Makes sense, of course.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 03:51 PM
    If you paid taxes on the disability you received, you should be allowed to claim a deduction for the repayment of those benefits.
    coljph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 03:32 PM
    Where on the tax forms do you take this deduction?
    coljph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 03:33 PM

Where on the tax form do we take the deduction for the Social SEcurity money turned in to the disabilty company from the retro lump sum?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 03:12 PM
    It would probably be an itemized deduction taken in the Miscellaneous deduction section of Schedule A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump on thigh, no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a lump on his inner thigh. It's about 3 inches from his groin area. It's about the size of a dime, maybe a little bigger. It's hard and under his skin. It first appeared about 5 months ago. It's the same color as his skin. He said it hurt when it first appeared, however now it...

Company paid vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a company paid vehicle. I have unlimited usage and my gas is also paid for by the Company. I live in North Carolina and I'm trying to figure out just how much having this perk is worth over a year's time...

Paid by company that does not file! [ 1 Answers ]

I work on a yacht, typically out of the USA. While the yacht(place of business?) has an offshore registry, my pay comes through an American bank, and is split between my offshore bank account and my American bank account as I desire (I put more in the offshore acct.) The company does not file...

Not paid taxes and insurance [ 4 Answers ]

My employer didn't pay my taxes and insurance since I started working with them almost 1 year now. What should I do ? Any advice please Thank you all

CA resident paid by an NJ company [ 1 Answers ]

Firstly, about me: I am an Indian citizen Came to US on F1 in 2002 Always been a resident of California Was filing 1040-NR-EZ, 8843 and CA-540-2EZ But, I am now on H1B visa since Oct 1st, 2006 I got to know that I am still a non-resident for 2006 tax year So, I have to file 1040NR or EZ...

View more questions Search