Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Windows automatic update
    I have a windows security alerts shield popped up and says that my automatic updater has been turned off an needs to start again. It won't turn on automatically nor can I turn it on either. I tried the Services.msc in the run command, and found out that I cannot chave the auto update to apply to automatic. It just continues to stay diabled, this here is the (path to executable: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) I tried to manually update via the update site but all I get is this error: The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
    So no idea what to do here, ay sugestion?
    thanks for help
    loopy123 Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 01:21 AM
    Try looking in your control panel
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:15 AM

Xp or vista

Start, run and type
    Regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll

After this, go back to services and look for
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

This should be set to Manual, if not, change and then click the Start button and Apply

Now go back to automatic updates and change to Automatic and Start button and apply

Feb 1, 2009, 01:22 PM
    My OS is XP and I did try what you suggested seahwk83. It seems to work even though I got a script error

An error has occurred in the script on this page
    Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Unspecified error
    Code: 0
    URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    [YES] [NO]
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 02:08 PM

What happens if you select yes, it still should go through

Try this

Login as Administrator or equivalent. Click Start, Run and type these commands one by one:

Regsvr32 jscript.dll
    Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Feb 6, 2009, 08:55 PM

Works but still have to do this every time I reboot the PC
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 09:36 PM

Found this

Resolution

This occurs due to missing OLE32 registration. You may use the following VBScript to correct the above problems. Download olereg.vbs and run the file.
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/olereg.vbs

Download and run, then say OK to any message that comes up

Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anybody have the windows update folder for windows 98? [ 3 Answers ]

I accidentally deleted my Windows update folder. I'd appreciate if anyone could give it to me. Thanks in Advance.:)

Windows update [ 24 Answers ]

I have had no updates from windows update since beging of December and auto updates are off. If I go to the site it says 0 -0 - 0 -0 in all the catogerys but I haven't changed anything. Ihas there just been no updates?? If so then it's a miricel lol

Automatic windows shuts down [ 7 Answers ]

I have been facing a problem which is related to internet connection. My computer is properly working when I am not using internet connection. But whenever I connect the internet connection, one message is displayed "Windows Automatically shutting down" or something like that. Is there any...

Can't update windows xp [ 5 Answers ]

i can't update my windows xp...sometimes a bubble will pop up in my taskbar and say "new updates are available"...i'd click on it and it will ask me to install the new updates...it would go into the process of installing then stop and say something like "the cd key is not valid"...then it will end...

Windows update [ 4 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm not sure but I think I may have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update 823559 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 19 security updates with this...

View more questions Search