Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loonman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain
    I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer . I connected a 2' drain pipe, to the y, about 3 feet long for the washer to drain into. Before I connected a 2' cleanout where the pipe would come out of the floor, I tested the system using a hose sending water down the 2" drain. What happens is the water does drain, but it also backs up to the floor drain for some reason. There is a about 1/8 to 1/4" slope on both the 2" and 3" pipe. The floor drain trap does not fill any more than the height of the 2" pipe where the hose is sending water. I'm worried that if the washer were to drain, I would get suds comimg up the floor drain.

Any ideas would help.
    Thanks...
    tparmech Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 04:30 PM

Does the floor drain have a vent and can you vent the washer drain to the vent. Also is the floor drain trapped and primed?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 05:03 PM

Can you show us some pictures of your setup? Would really help.

Jan 29, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Initially when I tested the system, the floor drain trap was not full, that's when I noticed
    The water from the Y actually going upstream and filling the floor trap.

The 2" line intended for the washer drain is not complete yet, it is only connected to the downsteream 2"Y. The trap and vent are not setup yet.
    I was just putting the hose in the end of the 2" pipe where it will eventually come out of the floor into a cleanout then Y to the trap and washer stand pipe and vent.

Do you think the system needs to be completed before doing the actual test?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
    I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer . I connected a 2' drain pipe, to the y, about 3 feet long for the washer to drain into.
    I keep looking for a trap and vent that must be installed but don't find any mention of it. From your description you have built yourself a direct open connection between your home and the city sewer system that allows sewer gas to enter your home. S ewer gas's a health hazard to your family and the methane content's explosive. Either cap the standpipe or trap and vent the washer station. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 08:19 AM

If you hook up sewer the way you described it - you will have suds coming out of the floor drain every time you use washer.

Jan 29, 2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks you for your comments and confirming my suspisions.
    The 2" connection to the drain without a trap is a momentary setup, I block the untrapped connection to prevent odours from comming up. thank you.

Any ideas on the best way to make this connection to avaoid suds? I was thinking of cutting past the existing 3"45 down from where I cut and put in a 3x3 Y; the y would service the floor drain and the other end would service the washer?

thank you
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 05:40 PM

I just can't seem to get a clear pic of this in my mind. Can you please post a pic. Probably an easy sollution to your problem(as far as easy goes).

Jan 29, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    i just can't seem to get a clear pic of this in my mind. Can you please post a pic. Probably an easy sollution to your problem(as far as easy goes).
    Hi, attached is a drawing of the setup.

There is no trap on the 2" pipe yet, just pouring water staight down 2" pipe.

Thanks...
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 05:37 PM

Drawing didn't show up, please try again. We will try to help, just takes time. Take care,

Lee

Jan 30, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Sorry about that, let's try it again...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting shower base to existing basement floor drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at installing a shower in our basement. I want to use a store bought shower base and I am not sure if I can use the existing floor drain in the basement. First of all there are 2 floor drains located 5 feet apart from each other in my basement. One is next to the water hearter and I...

Installing Floor Drain in Existing Basement [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to install a floor drain in an existing basement to drain my high efficiency furnace, my air conditioner coil, and my hot water heater (to clean it). About 10 feet from my proposed location I have a vertical 2" ABS pipe along the wall draining upstairs sink and dishwasher. This pipe...

Moving washer to 2nd floor? How to connect to existing shower drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to move my laundry area to the 2nd floor. I have an existing water connection and drain I like to use. I got a hefty estimate from a plumber and while I am an amateur, I'd like to see how it is done. Our plan included installing a pump/reservior that would eliminate...

Floor drain in basement floods from washer and upstairs sink [ 3 Answers ]

Why does my upstairs sink and wahser machine flood the floor drain in the basement? Every time I use the washer machine or wash the dishes in the upstairs sink it flood the floor drain in the basement, and if I am washing clothes I have to stop the water from draining into the washer sink in the...

Adding to existing basement drain to move washer [ 3 Answers ]

We have purchased an old wartime home with a cement half basement. We have replace all the plumbing to the main stack with PVC. The main stack is cast iron. The floor drain is in the middle about 2 - 3 feet from the stack. The washer is in the middle of the floor and it drains into the floor drain....

View more questions Search