Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megnut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Can I tile my bathroom floor over existing linoleum?
    I have 10 year old linoleum in a small bathroom and would like to tile over it with a 6x6 slate type tile. What materials can I use and how do I go about doing it?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jan 26, 2009, 03:18 PM

You can but I strongly recommend using a tile backer board over the linoluem. Assuming of course you have a wood subfloor underneath. If you have a concrete subfloor then I would just remove the old linoluem. Ive included a link that is fairly good for the basics but I think they leave out a few things. If your going to do this yourself you will need some tile tools which you can rent . Doing your own tile can be rewarding but it can also be a real pain in the neck.Look over the link and if you decide to do it yourself post back and we will try to help you through it. GOOD LUCK, AC

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/bat...floor_tile.htm
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 09:03 PM

I agree with ac101, I would no do it for hire or recommend anyone else do it. You may not be 100% sure exactly what you have, it could even be sheet vinyl. You need a base that is smooth, flat and will allow tile mortar to bite. Glueing and screwing Hardibacker to the floor is the safest start, 1/4" should do it and glue with modified thinset.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 11:20 PM

I agree with all the above. everything here is perfect good Job!
    Megunt tear it out this will insure 100% that the sub floor is sound!
    On our jobs sayings we use "when in doubt tear is out."many bathrooms if on ply floors usually have been exposed to a leak or a toilet overflow. The wax ring on a toilet can have a very small leak and get in and around the closet flange that there. Even on a second floor it doesn't always show up so take up the old floor to see if its sound now is the time to do it

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jan 27, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Megnut, you need to remove the vinyl. Not only that, but if this is over a wood subfloor, you also need to remove any 1/4" underlayment used for the vinyl so the best thing to do is pry up the underlayment with the vinyl still attached. For stone installations, the only way to ensure there is sufficient strength between the joists is to add second layer of plywood, 1/2" to 5/8" be graded plywood as determined by the actual subfloor thickness. THen thee is the issue with our joists. Stone requries a supporting joist structure that is 2x as strong as what is requried for ceramic so unless stone is spec'd at the time of design, then in most every case, your room isn't sufficient for a stone install.

Only after those conditions are met, will you be able to proceed with a layer of 1/4" cbu of your choice or tile membrane. If you do go with a cement board, It is NEVER glued. It gets set into a bed of thinset to give it an evenly supporting bedding layer. The only exception is Hardibacker, whick gets glued with a fully troweled layer of adhesive only when used as an underlayment for vinyl.

Any chance you know the joist size, spacing and span and the exact makeup of your subfloor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom floor tile removel promblem [ 1 Answers ]

The ceramic tile was glued right to the subfloor, How do I get it out

Peel and stick tile on the bathroom floor? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planing to put peel and stick tile on the bathroom floor. I am concerned about water seeping in between the tiles and causing damage to the subfloor. Some one suggest to use tile adhesive along with the self stick adhesive on the back of the tile, This could cause problems that if you want to...

Bathroom - ceramic tile new walls or new floor first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am getting ready to tile a bathroom that was built from scratch.. there was no bath there before it was built... I have the floor tiles, which will be set over half-inch cement board with thin set. The subfloor and cement board are already installed and ready for tile, which will be...

Tile a Bathroom floor [ 5 Answers ]

I'm currently remodeling my bathroom. The plan is to replace the toilet and vanity. Should I tile up to the vanity or install the tile prior to installing the vanity and have the tile under the edges of the new vanity? Thanks for the help!

Tile Bathroom Floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband just recently Tiled our bathroom floor, and he just grouted the tile yesterday, how long will it need to dry before being able to get wet (like if we use the bathtub/shower) and also is it necessary to seal the grout? He says it's not but I have read on the internet otherwise? ...

View more questions Search